Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who WOOD of thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who WOOD of thought

Two weeks have passed since I packed up the wagon and moved it home.
    I decided to take a sabbatical myself just to refresh from the long hours, hard labour and excessive work stress I had subjected myself to. I'm trying my best to justify my guilt for having done very little in the last 2 weeks.

I posted sometime back that I had a source for free American Oak. Loafing about can have it's benefits. Like allowing ones thoughts to speculate about other things.
    So much wood and so little being used.
    Eureka moment.
    I made contact with a business in Pretoria that manufactures grills and smokers, that also sell wood products (logs, chips and sawdust).
    With no idea what they would be willing to pay for a bag I left it to them to advise. I had a figure in mind and their offer was more than that (and they said negotiable).
    All good but for transport costs from PE.
    I made a lot of good business relationships in my years of manufacturing truck bodies for transporters.
    The first contact I approached said they would ship 10 to 15 bags per consignment FREE of charge to their Johannesburg depot.
    The guy's in Pretoria are happy to collect in Johannesburg.
    That sorted I felt it only fair to inform my supplier that the wood I was collecting for free, I was going to sell on.
    No problems there.
    When I asked him what he thought I would be paid for a bag and it worked out to be 10x more than his guess his reply was that he was happy I could do something with the off cuts that were otherwise being thrown away.

Who WOOD of thought.

Using your head and not your back to make $. Brain should be the hardest working part of your body.
    Networking pays off....

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said! After years of doing drywall and insulation and decks and sunrooms, involving scaffolding, lumberyards, trailers, attics, crawlspaces, I thought the same thing, need to use my head more instead of constantly crawling and climbing and hauling. Now I work in an air conditioned & heated building, and 1/4 of my work is from home on my computer!

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Work smarter not harder!

Nice! Jealous of the large supply of free oak! Good on you for working out a way to make a buck. (Do you call them "bucks" in SA?)

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Rand

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Bucks for slang

Keepin’ ur 👀’s and 👂’s open all the time makes for great opportunity

Comment

Congrats on workin' this out.

Comment

How nice is that. Congrats!

Comment

Shooda, cooda, wooda, you didda! 🕶

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here