Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Is Wood Good For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long Is Wood Good For?

In 2016, Hurricane Matthew came through South Carolina - lots of downed trees. When helping to clean up neighbor's and friend's properties, I got lots (and lots!) of pecan, oak, and hickory wood. I cut most of it into chunks (I have a KBQ-60). It's been under a roof and protected from the elements. How long before it becomes firewood for the wood stove and not fuel for the KBQ (and BGE)? Thanks for all the help on this site!!
    The OmegaDog

I think if it's been kept dry, and there are no bugs in it, it should be good forever? I'm certain there are folks more expert than I with this though.

Comment

Technically you want firewood or cooking wood to have some specific percentage of humidity content, but in my personal experience, I've had bags of cooking wood chunks from the big box stores in my storage shed for years, and I've had oak and hickory in the wood pile for years under a tarp, and its burned just fine...

Comment

At some point, it will become too dry to be ideal for smoking wood. Get a cheap moisture meter on Amazon (around $15 last time I checked) and split a piece of it open. If it's around 20% or a little less, you're good to go.

Comment

Years! If kept dry, like others have said, you're good! It will take so long to get "too" dry, unless it's out in the basting sun every day for many years, that I wouldn't worry about that. Once it gets years old and starts to feel really lightweight, then it might be too dry, but even then, try it and if it works fine in your cooker then it's still good.

Comment

It will stay good wood as long as wood will stay good. There ya has it!

Comment

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              As long as woodchucks will chuck it. If they could.

Thanks to all!! I see some hickory-smoked Piri-Piri Chicken in my weekend looking glass. @Huskee..you still selling wood? Please pm me if so!
            The OmegaDog
            Last edited by OmegaDog12; November 1, 2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I have 100+ year old planks of walnut that I will cut off an inch or two and use every once in a blue moon. Last I measured them they had 13 percennt moisture. Your wood that is air dried will be 10-20% moisture and be just fine for smoking. I also would not worry about a few wood borers they are small and wont' add any flavor.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                bet that walnut is beautiful. A little boiled linseed oil and some rubbing and they would look magnificent. Ever thought of making something out of it, say a cutting board, or some furniture?

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter yes I have made a couple of small pieces with it including a multi-layer hearth for our wood burning stove. It ended up about 6" thick 12" deep and each layer from top to bottom was a different thickness and depth.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here