Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stickburner wood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stickburner wood question

Lately I've been watching a ton of stickburner fire management videos on YouTube, and I've noticed that many of the folks are using oak to start and form their coal bed before switching to whatever "flavor" wood they plan to use for smoking. Does anybody here know if there's s legit reason for this? Does the oak burn hotter than, hickory, for instance? Inquiring minds want to know.

My guess would be it is the most available or cheapest. The 'flavour' woods might cost more or be harder to obtain. Where I live oak is scarce, but apple and cherry abound, so I use it from start to finish.

Comment

I use lump charcoal to help establish my coal bed and then add splits to that.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Me, too. Instant bed of coals.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here.
        Sometimes if I have enough leftover’s from my kettles, kamados and stick burner that I accumulate in a bucket I use that.
        Works pretty well.

I use charcoal to start my wood. I use oak now as my primary wood for smoking and add other woods for "flavor". I used to use almond because of its abundance where I live. It is a bit stronger. I have a bunch of fruit wood that i mix in. What I like about the oak is that it burns at a really consistent temp and it is mild in flavor. It also burns clean. I don't have hickory where I live. If I want that flavor I have to put lump in with my wood.

Comment

Oak is a fairly neutral wood that burns at a consistent temp and time. Be aware that there a bunch of different types of oaks out there and all burn slightly differently. Just on my property I have black, red and white oak. In Texas they have post oak. There is a type of oak in almost every state in the US. For long smokes I will use oak as it will not over power the meat. I also used as my heat source on my barrel smoker when I had one, throwing in some fruit wood early to provide some flavor.

Comment

Oak is a good steady burning wood. One thing is does not do is produce coal beds. You can't use it for an Asado as there is pretty much no coals. I usually use a little bit of lump charcoal to get the fire going and use whatever wood I have handy.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Very good comment about the coal bed. I have oak going right now in my Santa Maria grill. Fantastic for that. However, if I had an Argentine cooker with an offset brassero for charcoal I would go with my almond wood.

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            What type of oak are you burning Ahumadora our oak in NA makes a nice bed of coals. Most BBQ's have a burn box and shovel the coals to the smoking boxes as needed. I tried to find a picture for you but couldn't. The oak chunks I use smokes over an hour.

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            No idea what type of Oak we have here. I just buy it by the ton at my local firewood supplier.

Thanks everybody!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here