Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to get ready.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to get ready.

With the Santa Maria from LSG coming in a few months I decided I needed to start getting ready. Been dragging oak and cherry logs out of the wood lot this week and splitting some Oak. Quick way to lose 5 or 10 pounds when working in 80+% humidity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAA1965A-B53D-4750-8F00-49794A7FBA7B.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	731081

No one kidding that’s a mess of work. Enjoy that LSG, I envy your labor and what’s going to come off that pit !!

Comment

I thought the pile was for your winter hibernation.
      Well getting that behind you is freeing up more time for you to spend around the SM. Looking forward to the fruits of your labour.

Comment

No joke. Splitting logs is a workout for sure.
        Really looking forward to seeing your new grill.
        Chris and his crew does some fantastic work.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Even with a hydraulic splitter it's hard work.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Seriously CaptainMike Last night I split some more oak. And I had one 20” diameter that wound up having a knot in the center. Couldn’t see it from the outside. That sucker took me 25 minutes to get split up.😡 I was done after that one.

Can't wait to see it in action Don!

Comment

Keep workin, yer not done yet. 🕶

Comment

I feel your pain, I've been putting up wood for the winter. I have to cheat and use a splitter, swinging a maul at a cord leaves my elbows in pain. I have a couple of back savers from Logrite, a hookaroon and cant hook with a stand. My wife thinks the hookaroon is the best tool I've ever bought.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Donw That's where the hookaroon comes in handy. I can sink it into full logs and drag them around, then lift them onto the splitter. Even split pieces, no bending over to pick them up off the ground.

CaptainMike The only thing that keep me young is....well nothing. Except maybe not dying! ;-)

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Going to try the hookaroon. Just ordered one on the Log Rite site. Thanks for the heads up.

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Donw I think you'll like it and find it quite the aid. The learning curve is how hard to set the hook, too light and it can lose hold, too hard and it takes a bit to get it free. Posting a pic below since I don't know how to in comments.

Lookin' forward to photos of your first cook on the new toy.

Comment

Here are some examples of what the hookaroon can do. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1697.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.68 MB ID:	731267
              All this wood was moved without bending over or picking it up. I set the hookaroon, lift, and carry to the back to set next to splitter. Heavier pieces were dragged.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1695.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	731268
              The piece that is on the splitter was dragged whole to the back. It was too heavy to lift, so I quartered it with the maul. I set the hookaroon, lifted with one hand then grabbed near the head of the hookaroon with the other to get that piece onto the splitter.

Comment

You gettin one with a separate tray to make coals to move under the grate?

Comment

LSG Santa Maria??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here