Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soak or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soak or not?

Going to be cooking some Wagu tri tip this weekend on my Klose grill. I will be using Fogo lump with some mesquite chunks. I used this combo to grill some burgers a few days ago and the wood seemed to burn up very quickly. I did not soak the chunks. Should I soak them? Just learning so bear with me please.
    Will try and remember to get some pictures of the cook but I'm learning that things happen pretty quick on this grill. Not slow like the Yoder.

Pointless. The wood will only do it's trick once the moisture has dissapated so makes no sense. The only effect it will have is to make the chunks take longer to get up to temp won't make them burn longer.

Comment

Here's some light reading that explains why most people around here will say "no" to the wood soaking question" https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...our-wood-first

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks MBMorgan That's what I thought but everyplace else says soak. I'll follow the experts here.

I used to soak, then I came here.

Comment

No need to soak the chunks. MBMorgan posted a link, give that a read to tell you why you don't need too.

Comment

Yes that link tells why not to soak. I don't even soak chips any more.

Comment

Soaking is a waste of time. You see it everywhere because there are more amateurs than real masters of the craft. They market the process so they can sell wood chips, which are essentially scrap.

Comment

I am a recovering soakaholic

Comment

• gdsim1
                gdsim1 commented
                Editing a comment
                HA! 😂😂😂 Love this... I’m working the steps now myself, and am currently in the process of making amends to all the chips I’ve wronged over the years. 😂😂😂

Like others have said, I got smarter when I came here and read the mythbuster on this. And no such thing as a silly question - we’re ALL here to get smarter and better at this. 😃👍

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                It's not my fault. It's not , it's not. Everybody told me to so I'm not responsible. I;m not, I'm not!

• gdsim1
                gdsim1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely one more "Ya don’t know, what ya don’t know" item in a long list of them I’ve discovered at both The Pit and AmazingRibs.com in general.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this place? 😃

So, I'm doin em all wrong, jus plunkin chunks in my water pan???
              Ahhh, Bugger...

Comment

• SmokingSteve
                SmokingSteve commented
                Editing a comment
                Only if you have water in the water pan, ... only if you have water in the water pan.

Experts everywhere........ It’s called group think or follow the crowd. Wood is not paper or cardboard so it doesn’t soak up anything. It’s like the area between yer thumb & yer finger to figger out the temp of a stake (I couldn’t help myself). 🕶

Comment

I soak in the tub.

Comment

Go soak your head...I think this post is dead

Comment

I do chips, half dry and half soaked....that way everyone's happy....

Comment

• SmokingSteve
                      SmokingSteve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So are you saying you are a half-wet? I think you need to dry up! LOL! Like the song says " You can't please everyone..."

• smokin fool
                      smokin fool commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think I'm saying I'm half dry!?!?!?
                      You can't please everyone....so at least please yourself....

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here