Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood chunks on top of charcoal or under it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood chunks on top of charcoal or under it?

I've always placed the wood chunks on top of my charcoal, but as I've gone down the BBQ rabbit hole I've heard putting the wood under the charcoal is "better" for cleaner smoke. True? False? It doesn't matter? I'm going to buy a 26" kettle in the next few weeks, but I would imagine the answer would be the same no matter the cooker. As always, thank you.

This is the theory behind using a smoke pot in a kamodo. It seems to deliver a thinner gradual longer duration smoke. Give it a try and keep us posted on how it worked out for you.

Comment

Quality chunks can be place on top with no problem. I have had not a problem with the ones I buy. A 3.5x3.5x1.25 chunk lasts more than an a hour.

Comment

I recently saw this somewhere. Her is my theory. I’ve placed my chunks on top and have great results. About a week ago I watched harry soo on you tube cook a 14 lb brisket in 2 hours (I’ll do it the ol fashion way, seems like it came out to salty) anyhoo, another video showed a person cooking one in 5 hours. He said in his video that harry recommends putting the wood chunks underneath. So I said that’s an ideaer. So this Friday I tried it.
        What I learned was when ya put chunks on top, they can catch fire pretty easy which is making a flame and it burns up quickly(like kindling) but not much smoke. (It doesn’t smolder), and produce a lot of "smoke".
        when ya bury the chunks, they don’t catch on fire but instead tend to smolder more.
        However, by the time the fire hits the unlit chunks underneath your meat is not as "cold" when first put in (in my case they lite around 1-2hours later) and it doesn’t "adhere" to the protein that you are cooking.
        the smoke comes at a later time in the smoking process.
        So which is better?
        for me, I didn’t really notice a difference. Since I use a wsm, with a water pan, I can go either way. I can deal with the flare ups due to the water pan.
        Now the next questions are
        1- what about placing em in between layers? Some in the bottom, middle and top?
        2- what type of smoke do ya like? Heavy, light, or medium smoke? (I prefer it a medium) if heavy I would put em on the bottom and top for extended smoke but light smoke flavor I would put it on the top.
        3 - after ya put your protein on and have a few adult beverages, and have the fire going, does it really make a difference and matter? You’ve already planned your cook, and it’s to late to change.
        This is purely my opinion. I just stick with putting em on top which not as messy and getting your hands all dirty placing em on the bottom.

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for doing all the experimenting for me! I'll try them on the bottom next time just to see if I notice the difference.

I'd rather put them on top and get that good smoke in when the meat is cold. I fully understand Harry's reasoning, but I'm gonna argue that it doesn't get that hot anyway. The three phases of burning wood (evaporization, smoke and then incineration) still play nice. The 'worst' that could happen in the case of placing the wood on top is that it burns too hot, meaning less smoke. But in my mind that is a theoretical reasoning. We still have small fires since we do low 'n slow, so there's never a roaring fire anyway. If there was, then I would buy Harry's argument. Plus I like the fact that I can (if needed) fiddle with the chunks, either add or remove, when they're on top.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Always like a good fiddler. 🕶

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Good point that low and slow isn't going to get the wood chunks roaring anyway.

I put my chunks on top but I do foil wrap with holes punched in.

Comment

Both. You put chunks on top to get smoke early in the cook. Then as the charcoal burns down the buried chunks will continue to add smoke. For a long cook in the Egg I put chunks on top, middle, and bottom of the coal basket.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Bingo

I always go on top of, never mixed in or under. I want smoke now, baby! Takes 3 seconds to add more later if you need it, but running the SnS for instance, they (or at least one of them) always last ~8 hrs before totally gone.

Comment

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Not so easy to add chunks in the BGE. You need to pull the grates and the plate setter to access the burning charcoal. Much easier to mix in the chunks to keep the smoke going for the duration of the cook. In my PK360 it is like you described for the slow and sear, very easy to open the lid and toss a chunk or two on.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point with a kamado Old Glory, I wasn't looking at it from that perspective.

I load it up!

Wood on bottom, coals, wood on top.

Big ass chunks, small ones medium ones, I don’t discriminate. I’m also a light smoke kind of guy. This is why I like the airflow of the kettle. I run with my top vent almost wide open.

Comment

Whooooeeee ! With Huskee ‘s "I want smoke now, baby" & HouseHomey ‘s "Load it up!", One wouldn’t have thought that a chunk of wood would evoke such strong emotions & T.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Like an episode of Seinfeld on wood chunks.

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              I mean, what the DEAL with wood chunks???

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              "Wood can BURN baby!"

I throw it on top to make sure that I am adding the wood directly to the hot fire. That is all the really matters.

Comment

With my 18.5" WSM I mix them in throughout the wood pile. Lately I've been pre-toasting a chunk or two with my starter fire in my chimney. I'm leery of using chunks in my BGE though because I've read that it messes up your airflow.

Comment

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                Never had an issue with chunks in my BGE.

• Beefchop
                Beefchop commented
                Editing a comment
                Old Glory that's good to know. I've seen several lengthy threads on the use of a smoke pot in ceramics. Eventually I'll get around to experimenting with some chunks on longer cooks to see if wood chunks are a prob.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! The consensus is that wood can go anywhere and everywhere at anytime! I think I'll just order a pizza tonight.

Comment

In my 26 inch kettle with SNS I spread out my chunks under my unlit briquettes. I have put them on top in the past and I honestly don’t notice a difference either way. In my PBC wood chunks always go on top.

Comment

Well I like my fat cap down to protect the meat instead of up, serves no purpose imo......

Oh sorry, off topic ..... I'll be exiting stage left now .....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here