Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood question

what type of wood should I use to grill a butterflied leg of lamb?

I use fruitwood (cherry, apple, peach, etc). Pecan or alder would be nice as well. I'd stay away from hickory, oak, or especially mesquite as they could oversmoke the lamb. Let the meat and rub be the stars. Have you considered a board sauce while serving? That can take it over the top.

Comment

• TCConz
      TCConz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much!!

Peach

Comment

Black Cherry is my favorite. I think it would go well with lamb, I have never tried it. I need to make a leg of lamb at some point.

Comment

Agree with going easy on the smoke with lamb. Let that meat shine!

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, and the 8 cloves of garlic stuck into it! LoL!!

I disagree that oak can oversmoke the same as mesquite, but I suppose it depends which type, and how much you use. I think red & post oak is very mild myself. But here's what I tell everyone- any wood that you know is good to smoke with can be used to smoke anything. And yes, I mean anything. I used just about every major wood to smoke shrimp to fish to poultry to brisket, and I've never noticed anything that doesn't work. Usually there's enough going on with rubs, especially with red meats & their rubs, that the type of wood you used really takes a far back seat. Fruit woods, nut woods, oak or ash. All good. As long as you don't overdo it. A kiss is best, especially something you're taking to medium rare-ish. Not everyone will agree with me but that's ok, we're all different.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I completely agree Aaron, but in the context of what I interpreted the question, and the cut of meat, my suggestion was to err on the side of less is better than more as far as lamb is concerned. By itself there's a lot going on with lamb, and too much of a pungent smoke can, shall we say, complicate things.

• Scout789
          Scout789 commented
          Editing a comment
          I find most types of oak to be pretty mild as well. This may be because mesquite is my go to standard. I don't think you can go wrong with it. However, I am not a fan of lamb, so I can't really speak to the best way to smoke it.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here