Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexican Wood question: Nance or Nanche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexican Wood question: Nance or Nanche

Click image for larger version

Name:	B107C617-867A-4742-9A40-762E1A3756A8.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	638799Click image for larger version

Name:	9CA4FBAF-41AF-435D-8FCA-1F49249E0F8A.jpeg
Views:	393
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	638798 The Click image for larger version

Name:	0292A568-EB6D-427B-9B5B-36077D0F40E7.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	638797 ok today driving back from Tuxtla Gutiérrez to Villahermosa we stopped in the bank of a big river at a place with a delightful smell. It was the wood. But the fish was excellent. I asked about the wood and tried Wikipedia. It is a fruit wood and makes the best aroma smoke. Amazing.

Here is the Wikipedia entry and a few pics. Anyone know a US source for this stuff? I have to try it in a smoking situation

yrsonima crassifolia is a species of flowering plant bearing fruit in the acerola family, Malpighiaceae, that is native to tropicalAmerica. Common names include changunga, muruçi, nanche, nance, chacunga, craboo, kraabu, savanna serrette (or savanna serret) and golden spoon. In Jamaica it is called hogberry (plural hogberries). Click image for larger version

Name:	C794A9DC-55CE-4465-BB53-8FA738FF1336.jpeg
Views:	365
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	638796

Yep I have eaten my way across Mexico at a lot of roadside places like this. No idea on the wood name though.

Comment

How to cool to have those adventures! If you find a source, please report back. I am always interested in trying new woods. I currently have about 22 kinds, none very exotic though. Would love to make it 23.

Comment

Here ya go:

It might take a while though.

Comment

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          I am nothing if not patient.

Acerola they say. Cherry fruit is a common sub for acerola. But nanche has a flavor that is not comparable to any other fruit. Said so on wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
          Acerola they say. Cherry fruit is a common sub for acerola. But nanche has a flavor that is not comparable to any other fruit. Said so on wiki.
          Well the smell of the burning wood is something I cannot forget ...it is really the bomb!

Comment

You can read a decent write up here. https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/nance.html

It appears like the shrubby tree might do well in Southern California. It does grow slowly. The fruit might be useful with some pork.

Comment

• fracmeister
              fracmeister commented
              Editing a comment
              " In Brazil, the wood is chosen for the hot fire over which the people smoke the stimulant paste of guaraná (Paullinia cupana HBK.) because the burning wood has a pleasant odor" it does indeed have a pleasant odor... I think the stimulant of St. Louis style ribs would be a good choice...

Just ran into this interesting video and recalled this topic, so decided to search for this conversation and post it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJiIU1ii1o

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, that was a fun watch!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here