Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My conclusion wood vs SA briquettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My conclusion wood vs SA briquettes

I am now more than ever convinced that the briquettes available in SA are not something I want to use as a fuel when smoking meat or grilling.
    There are a lot of folk these parts that agree with me but their reference is live fire grilling and it doesn’t taint the meat as much as when smoking. Frozen Smoke suggested I use a burn barrel for wood coals to use in the kettle.

I gave it a bash with a rack of spare ribs and these are my observations.
    I got the kettle to run at around 270F that was okay by me and after re-loads spiked to around 300F and come back down to 270F.
    I guess if I fiddled with the vents and coal load could have run lower but was happy with 270.
    I added more coals when the temp dipped to 250F and was dropping kind of steadily, maybe if I had left it might have settled somewhere at the 225 to 240 range for a while?
    I was impressed with the stretch in- between re-loads around 1 hour and after the third load of coals the kettle dialled into 250F.

The timing of adding logs to the burn barrel so you have coals ready when needed, is a challenge and you can end up burning a lot more wood than actually needed.
    The type of wood I used today burnt down to coals fairly quickly aided by being in an open pit.
    Better usage of wood was achieved as the cook progressed but made sure there was if needed.
    Irrespective of the above, the amount of wood that I burnt in-between re-loads is burning more wood than you would in a stick burner. That’s telling me something.
    Like I mentioned I didn’t want to run short of coals so I ended up burning about 10 pounds in total.
    I had expected to add a lot more than the 5 times.

It was time consuming making sure there were coals available when needed.
    Wasn’t necessary to fiddle with the vents something I envisaged I’d have to do.
    I took advantage of the flames from the fire to clean some of my grids.
    Overall I will use the burn barrel way whenever possible.
    And I got to use my Santa Claws

My gasser gives clean a good clean smokiness but Wood Smoked meat just tastes so much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181230_160514.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	615797Click image for larger version

Name:	20181230_150445.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	615799

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181230_192136.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	615798

Great synopsis holehogg . Thanks for your insights.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      The journey was much enjoyed. Thanks.

My brother in law only grills over wood coals in a brick pit he built himself.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I have hardly "braai-ed" since I've started learning about smoking. I have done enough "braai-ng" in the past 30 or so years so I'm good with that and on only used wood whenever possible and that was probably 90% of the time. .

You learned what I learned in regards to using a burn barrel. It takes considerable more time and a totally different strategy when using one. I think I used mine 3 times until I came to the realization I was wasting too much nice red oak with the burn barrel.

Sounds like you will get it more dialed in the more you use it. I was gaining ground every time I used it but in the end it just wasn't worth it for me.
    Have you considered getting a SNS for that kettle. The water reservoir acting as a heat sink might help you a lot in controlling temps. Plus you get a better separation from coals to meat and more of a true indirect effect. Sounds silly to say but I think 270 in a kettle is different than 270 in a offset stick burner.

Or start with a bed of coals and then add wood chunks after that and see how that works. Just spit balling..

Ribs look great btw!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm getting a stick burner.
      SNS with shipping - I just cant justify now.
      What do you mean by the F difference between offset and kettle be that the amount of fuel needed to get there?
      Your suggestions I'm willing to try.
      Thanks for suggesting I try this now I know nothings going to be quite the same ever again. 👌

I like to steal coals from my fire pit at the cabin. It's a big pit right next to the outdoor kitchen.

Comment

Can you readily obtain hardwood? If so, you can try to make your own lump charcoal. Past member Jon Solberg shared a method on here that I want to try myself.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely something to try out, give the experiments so far.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, it looks like all of Jon's posts have been bleach-bit'ed. Like with a rag....

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Plenty hardwood available and at about $30 for a pick up load body full its reasonably priced. Looked at doing it per Jon but haven't got round to it and don't think i will be in near future. Tried to convince an acquaintance of mine to do it on my behalf... dumb look was the response. EdF

I only use lump charcoal for starting the fire and always use wood to cook on. Have not cooked on briquettes in over 12 years. Don't sweat it too much, you will have your stick burner soon.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Not soon enough. Thanks will send pics and chat tomorrow.

holehogg I guess what I mean by 270 in a kettle and 270 in a offset stick burner is the distance from the meat to the heat source. A kettle is close quarters. You might be reading 270 at the probe in a kettle but you move that probe 2 or 3 inches either way and you will read something quite different.

In a offset pit once the chamber is reading 270 it's going to be 270 in that general area. Just a thought.

Comment

I would argue that 270 is 270, regardless. So no difference there. However, the huge difference is of course in the draught. There will be a lot more air moving through the offset, at higher speeds. That changes things, specifically related to bark and (potential) dryness.

Either way, really looking forward to seeing your offset, I love mine!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here