Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Smoking Flavor Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cook nearly everything with oak. My local wood guy always has it. Tried almond a few months ago. It was nice and mellow. It’s flavor worked well with pork, which I usually do with a sweeter rub. Didn’t care for it with brisket.

Though as as others have mentioned: the real key is a good quality fire.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that if someone asked me to identify what wood was used to smoke something, I couldn't do it.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Inclined to agree, but I do notice differences, just not identifiably for the most part.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I could guess mesquite, but that's about it, and only if I knew it was a choice.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mesquite, Hickory, or Neither. I can do that, because that's what I use. Others - Oak & Apple e.g. - are too light for me to catch.

You also have to figure your cooker is seasoned by the strongest wood you use, and imparts a pinch of that each time.

I use oak and apple for most everything. I can get both for free most of the time. I’ll use cherry for color if I want that mahogany shade to the meat.

Comment

Has anyone tried Wax Myrtle? I think it’s also known as Southern Bayberry. It’s native to these parts of FL and it has some aromatic foliage and berries. I understand the berries were used to make candles back in the day. In any case, just want to see if anyone has some experience with this specific type of wood.
        Thank you,
        Ricardo

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds kind of resinous. Not sure that would be a choice of mine. But that's just speculation.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd be using tons of coconut husks if I were in the Sunshine State.

• Ricardo
          Ricardo commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF
          It does seem resinous to me as well.

@JGo37
          Will have to give coconut husks a try one of these days.

Cheers,

Clean fire is king, wood species selection makes a lot less difference than quality wood and good fires.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here