Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Wood Source in Western Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Wood Source in Western Montana

Hey folks, I am looking for a hard wood source for a friend out in Livingston, MT that just picked up a stick burner. Does anyone know of anything in the area? I know Fruita Wood will ship there but their prices are outrageous.

Let me know if you know of anything.

Thanks!

Good luck with that. I was sure Craigslist would have a ton of listings, but that is not the case. Literally not a single one with just hardwood within at least 100 miles. I can't even imagine how depressing that would be. Makes me want to go and burn a bunch of hardwood in the firepit tonight just because.

Send your buddy a care package!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that is why he asked me to ask you folks. He is looking for anything. I might just have to load up the Silverado and drive it out there.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - Montana is not a bad place to visit!

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      Same problem in Wyoming

Is he using it for a stickburner, in other words needing logs, or just chunks?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Stick burner

What? Are there any trees in Montana??

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Some but mostly conifers and some alder in the western part of the state. He has a friend that can get him apricot but it has to come from SLC.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Logistics - they'll get you!

I've never tried smoking with it, but aspen should be plentiful. Other than that it's pretty much pine and fir in that part of the world.

Comment

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      Aspen works good as choke cherry and all hard wood brush

Fire Art Where do you go for smoking wood in your area. Have you ever been able to find a source? I am sure he would make the drive down to JH too pick some up. (I would take that weekend trip anytime!)

Comment

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      This is why I don’t have a stick burner I cut a lot of choke cherry and Quaking aspen for what I do use

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      All the local Bar BQ place truck it in mostly Mesquite and Hickory

Asking because i cod send some chunks of various kinds if he could cover just the shipping. I think it's about $20-25...but chunks don't go far in a stick burner so prob not worth it.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I appreciate that Yeah, the stick burner would rip threw that pretty quick. This is proving to be a difficult. We are lucky to have plenty of hardwood, locally.

I have been on a mission with this. I am absolutely amazed at the lack of woods/resources. I honestly thought of moving there some day (the Zillow surfing dream) but I have stick burners. What would I do?!? There are apple orchards there and if I were him/her I would reach out to growers to see what he/she can broker. I can't find any oak near there.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am going to tip him off to that. Great idea. I also told him to check with his local BBQ restaurant in Bozeman.

Cherries are a big deal in the Kalispell area. Perhaps there are some growers there that he should contact?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Noted! Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here