Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big ol' dead tree needs to come down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big ol' dead tree needs to come down...

And, it's red oak. The gypsy moths killed it. Been dead about a year and a half.

The guy says, "$800, but it's $700 if you want some of the wood, and $600 if we leave all of the wood."

Uh... Not being a stick burner guy, that's enough wood for bbqing for the rest of my life. Plus firewood for the winter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180711_210248(1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	531210

LEAVE ALL OF IT!!!Score!

Comment

Depends on how much work you are willing and able to do. I personally would lean toward just having them take it down and I could use the trunk for logs and the limbs for firepit wood. Having no leaves is a plus in this situation.

Comment

I assume you already have a log splitter?

Comment

This one right here will do the job nicely on a tree that straight:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fiskars.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	531224

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Fiskars makes great stuff.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Depending on your fitness!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got three sizes, I love these axes too! X27, X17, X12

Where in pa are ya?

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            South of you, about as deep into PA as you are into NY.

They're going to cut it into 16-18" pieces, and our neighbor has a log splitter. I'm going to make a deal with him, if he helps me split it I'll give him half. It's still way more wood than I will ever use.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Love it when a plan comes together!

$600 to fell a tree?? I hope this includes cleaning up all the limbs & such. Not to be a negative Ned but that's pricey for a single tree. But hey, tree guys gotta eat too.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, includes cleanup and stacking the wood. That is the same quote we got from 2 other guys, and on a tree 5 years ago as well. We picked this guy because he could do it soonest.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            A couple of years ago, I had a large dead red oak leaning over half of my house and there was nowhere to lay it down the easy way. So the crew brought out a bucket truck, crane, etc. It ended up costing me around $800, and I kept a bunch of the wood. I had one sketchy guy show up at my front door offering to take it down and haul away for $350. Red flags went up immediately and I declined.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca good deal. I was worried it was cut her down and go. Cleanup and stacking, yes that's a fair deal. Congrats on the score!

Tree removal can be expensive in my area. I've recently got several quotes to remove a very large oak and poplar on my property. The average quote was about $3800. I ended up getting them trimmed and it still cost me almost $2000. I was in sticker shock when the quotes started arriving.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow!

Get them to leave the chips as well. PERFECT mulch and will be the favorite forgaing spot for various insect eating birds like Bluebirds and so on. you'll enjoy the show with the birds!!

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            we do the same. Brown Thrasher and Gray Catbird.

you could also let them leave about 15-20 feet of trunk if it won't hurt anything and let that part rot away slowly. you'll have woodpeckers and wrens and later bluebirds and maybe owls who might eventually live in it. Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 10 19 001 .jpg
Views:	159
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	532062Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 10 19 004.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	532063

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Great pics, Karon!

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            that was the first time I realized I had Bluebirds in my yard. I had never noticed them, before and really, never actually seen a Bluebird in real life (save some aviary or zoo) it was SO fascinating. now I'm managing a box, learning to whistle their call and killing sparrows!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here