Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tired and bored with the kamado joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired and bored with the kamado joe

Using the kamado Joe has just become to simply and easy to cook with it has become boring. Today I went and purchased a cow reverse flow to get introduced into stick burning to see how I enjoy it. Have it all built together and doing a burn in now and taking temp readings. Tomorrow the gaskets will be here to get it sealed up and do some ribs on it

Haha yeah once you learn all your cookers they can become boring I suppose! I feel so sorry for all those guys with pellet cookers and their Digital controls...

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      I happen to like my controls 😜

Very Cool, amigo! Congrats on yer newly acquired reverse flow stickburner!

I don't profess to have any reverse flow cookers, but do burn sticks, frequently.

I squeak by, generally...

I very much wish ya great success, an most of all, great enjoyment with it!

I think, at th very least, yer in fer some fun, an tasty foods!

If there's any way I can help ya along th way, please lemme know!

Comment

I have no idea what you bought. My kettles have never bored me and I can clock 200° in my sleep.

Honestly "all you need is three chords and the truth!"

can some give me a beat?

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        @ComfortbalyNumb how did you know I love that version?

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Tres acordes y la verdad, mi hermano HouseHomey. And we come from the same hood!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        "Oh, give me the beat boys and free my soul
        I wanna get lost in your rock 'n' roll and drift away"

You just confirmed my theory. We want the challenge of learning an mastering a new cooker. Once we do, MCS strikes. Wide spread contentment would be end of innovation in cookers and maybe the entire industry.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        customtrim I think you might have hit one of prime reasons I am not interested Soos Veed. You’re not cooking, something just doesn’t seem right about it to me. It doesn’t seem to be the art of cookin putting something in a bag & waiting. Just me.

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Well stated LA Pork Butt!

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        My truck is just about done, so I put it up for trade for a CJ-7 so I could start over. I got a reply the first day. Then it hit me:

"WHAT THE HECK AM I THINKING?"

I have 5 main cookers (and looking for a couple more) that all cook differently with different results. By rotating through them I keep the boredom factor down. The only bad news is having to go back and clean the darn things. Seems like a life lessons, for every piece of good news comes equal and opposite bad...

Enjoy your new stick burner. You’ll probably get tired of it sooner or later that’s why we advocate MCS so strongly here !!!

Comment

• dshaffes
        dshaffes commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm the same way with my 5 cookers. I keep a steady rotation of Kettle, BGE, Traeger, WSM, Summit Gasser. Also, I'll get to use my cabinets and stick burner when doing events like comps and fundraisers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_172206.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	528577Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_172240.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	528578Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_172332.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	528579

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        Really 2 little pieces of sausage you two are drooling over
        Mr. Bones. HouseHomey

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I tend to focus on th Here, an Now...
        <ALERT>There's no guarantee, whatsoever, I'll still be here, in five more minutes. </ALERT>
        Plus, they're jus dayum good lookin sausages.!
        I rest my case.

Enjoy yer burn in, thanks fer sharin!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 7, 2018, 06:48 PM.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes sir., I'll have his piece. Mr. Bones

Congrats on the rig!

Comment

I can't see not having a stick burner myself someday. Here's how my brother in law grills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180626_205533.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	528795Click image for larger version

Name:	20180626_200920.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	528796

Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't look like no bad tucker, from here, leastwise.
          Onliest problem is yall live so far away...
          Otherwise, I'd bring a few things along, tuck right in.
          Where did he git them purple BBQ lights. I might haveta have me some lol! Fog Machine, as well...
          Oh wait, I can make smoke; jus remembered!

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I might have had some technical difficulties posting them pics, Mr bones. Looks like I crossed the wires between dinner at my sister's place, and the Dirty Heads concert I was at just before then.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL, I figgered as much, brought a big smile, hadda pull yer leg a bit, brother!

Good for you! To me cooking is a relaxing hobby and I love to try new things. It's not so much about the food (great by-product) but more about the "hunt". Just have fun!!

Comment

Congrats on the new acquisition. I've been eying that offset for months now.

Comment

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            I got it for $279.00 plus tax everyone else had it for 500.00 and up

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a great deal, customtrim. I have my eyes on the one that is not reverse flow. Walmart sells it for $278 but I've heard that in the fall they'll put it on clearance for $199. My interest in it is solely around burning wood. It seems like a very good value and I've seen people on Youtube produce very good Q with it.

customtrim How much did that fire basket set you back and where/how did you acquire it?

Comment

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            The basket and baffles come with the reverse flow model, it can also be setup as a straight offset. I got it at Bj's

Congrats on your new rig! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I switched to stickburners from Kettles around 4 months ago, and couldn't be happier with the results. Certainly a learning curve though, but I find it much more fun. From sourcing the right wood, to maintaining a fire, and of course the flavor wood-burning fires produce, certainly a treat. Enjoy!

Comment

I've had mine for a couple of years now and really like it. It's been a process but I've learned how to cook on it. I use a baffle for low/slow (usually will run it for 3 hours and then transfer meat to a charcoal cooker to finish because fire management involves babysitting). With the baffle out a great sear can be achieved on meat close to the firebox. Most of the smoke flavor occurs during the beginning of the cook...a couple of weeks ago I cooked a chuck roast in it and placed it near the firebox for 3 hours, turning a couple of times. By the time I moved it to the kettle it already had a great sear and that sweet smoke flavor that can only be obtained by using wood. One of the best chuckies I've ever made.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here