Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Oak vs. Live Oak for smoking.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Oak vs. Live Oak for smoking.....

I have both a Red Oak and a Live Oak in my yard that need some trimming. I wanted to save a few of the branches for chunks or smaller logs for my stick burner. How long should I age them before using them (was thinking 6 months) and can I smoke with both types of oak? Is there any noticeable difference between the two in smoke taste? Anyone prefer one over the other? Thanks!

There are a lot of opinions out there, but I would say 6 months may not be long enough. At least a year, some say as much as 2. As to the difference in the oaks, there really is no appreciable difference in smoke. Both also burn about the same BTU wise. I'd use them interchangeably if it were me.

Comment

6 months should be fine for seasoning. Just keep the wood covered and let it have good air flow.
      The taste difference is very subtle but I do prefer red oak myself.

Comment

I work at trees and have taken home hickory before, let it season two years + and it still has a bitter taste to it, I would say split it up, let it season at least a year, I think oak has a higher moisture content thank hickory. But defiantly keep it covered with air so it doesn’t mold or fungi up on ya

Comment

My understanding is that regional factors play a have a bigger influence in smoke flavor than the type of wood itself.

Example: Oak sourced from the same area on Vermont as pecan will produce an aroma/flavor profile that is more similar than oak sourced from Washington.

Comment

In KY we have a lot of Northern Red Oak, which is likely different from what you have, and I have never tried Live Oak. I think if you are making chunks with branches, your 6 month time frame is fine if you go ahead and split them and dry in the sun. Logs will take longer than that. You can get a moisture meter for around $15 on Amazon and eliminate the guesswork.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              This was going to be my advice. Start using it at ~25%.

Depending on the size of the pieces you are planning on you can throw it in on your grate on a indirect side to speed up the process.

Comment

Six months and it will be season out.

Comment

All day!! I love using oak. One of my favorites!

Comment

Originally posted by dhughes View Post
                  I have both a Red Oak and a Live Oak in my yard that need some trimming. I wanted to save a few of the branches for chunks or smaller logs for my stick burner. How long should I age them before using them (was thinking 6 months) and can I smoke with both types of oak? Is there any noticeable difference between the two in smoke taste? Anyone prefer one over the other? Thanks!
                  Coastal live oak, which is called red oak from central California (Santa Maria area) has a distinct flavor difference IMO from regular Live Oak. It may be the weather or soil that it grows in Central Ca. that makes the difference, not sure. Really good for tri-tips or any beef.

Comment

I use red and white oak pretty much exclusively I will buy a cord at a time from local loggers that sell cut and split. It's usually has a couple months seasoning when I buy it so I try to let it go a few more months before using it if I can. I have actual wood drying storage crib that works great it holds about 3/4 of a full cord. The dry winter air up here will season wood pretty quickly after a long winter.

I can tell no difference at all in flavor between the two.

Comment

Good stuff, everyone! Thank you for your feedback! I live in Texas so I’m guessing a week to a week and a half and I should be good!

Comment

• Scout789
                        Scout789 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep! A few days or a couple of weeks of Texas summer and it will as good as kiln dried!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here