Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nut Allergy vs Pecan \ Walnut Wood Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nut Allergy vs Pecan \ Walnut Wood Smoke

Hi

Maybe a dumb question, but if you use a wood from a nut bearing source like Pecan, does that pose any risk to folks with Nut Allergies?

My guess is no because the elements which cause the allergic reaction are not transferable via the smoke \ carbon from the burning process?

Thats a great question. I know here in the US only about 0.5% of the population is affected by tree nut allergy. Oddly I actually know someone that is. I'll ask him.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Just have your friend over for something smoked. Use Pecan or Hickory and watch to see if he blows up like a balloon. You might want to have an epi pen handy...

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Speaking of nuts 🙄

• MeatMonster
      MeatMonster commented
      Editing a comment
      lMAO, I got a few friends, I guess I can afford to loose one in the name of science!

Hickory is a very common smoking wood, and is also used for charcoal. I have never seen a bag of charcoal or hickory wood chunks that mentioned nut allergies.

Comment

Every time I've been asked this question, I've directed to another smoke source like apple. I personally wouldn't want to make anyone sick.

Comment

I looked into this a bit, because my wife has Tree Nut Allergies. From what I understand the allergies are to the proteins. The Smoke holds no proteins.

Comment

The protiens that cause tree nut are in the nuts, not the trunk/branches. Tree nut allergies shouldn't be affected by wood smoke.

Comment

I too would venture a guess of "no"...but alas, I am not an expert in the field so don't trust me. It would be great if there were an allergist's office you could call to ask. Always better safe than sorry as Candy points out, until you hear it from someone educated in such matters.

Comment

Hi Huskee any chance of getting the Prof's view? I see a ton of conflicting on-line content, but still feel that the protein treatment is key here and so wood smoke from say a pecan tree would not be harmful because it is not the nut. Although if you burned a load of nuts and the smoke got in your eyes then I think there would be a reaction. Not the sort of thing we can test though!

Comment

A search on The Goggle has revealed some very interesting info. Beyondallergy.com doesn't even know for sure. But

http://www.hudsonallergy.com/bbq-all...or-summer-fun/
                BBQ Smoke

"Smoke from a barbecue may irritate your eyes or throat, but did you know it could also bring on an allergic reaction? Wood commonly used in barbecue (mesquite, oak, cedar and hickory) can contain pollen proteins that some people are allergic to. These allergens can remain in the smoke even after the wood is burned, and may even transfer to your food or cause oral allergy syndrome (OAS). The symptoms of OAS include a scratchy throat and itchy mouth as well as swelling of the lips, tongue, mouth, and throat."

But, the American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology says there are no studies.
                Website of the AAAAI. Medical content developed and reviewed by the leading experts in allergy, asthma and immunology.

There seems to be no definitive answer so, I'm leaning towards going along with @MeatMonser and him donating one of his friends in the name science.

Additional Sources

It's football season, which means tailgaters are weekly firing up their cookers and churning out meaty pork ribs, tender beef briskets and an array of other smoke-kissed meats that seasonal allergy sufferers might want to avoid. I spent five hours with an allergist yesterday, trying to understand just why Dallas...

Comment

• MeatMonster
                  MeatMonster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Omega-Man that made me spit my breakfast cereal out! LMAO. Indeed seen the AAAAI article and others.

My bag of Pecan pellets has a warning label that it may contain nuts. I don't think that's because someone might eat them.

Comment

• MeatMonster
                  MeatMonster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  But if they grab a handful to throw in the hopper and inadvertantly pick up nut residue, then later pick their nose without washing their hands they could be in a world of hurt!

I have a step-daughter allergic to oak and was told not to cook with that wood for smoking. Not sure if she is allergic to acorns, we rarely eat them.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just a once in a while snack eh? Same.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here