Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much wood to smoke a 3rib prime Rib?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much wood to smoke a 3rib prime Rib?

I am ready to try smoking a prime rib again. Years ago, I smoke one with hickory and it came out WAY too smoky. I will manage my smoker to 200 degrees and plan to use Apple wood chunks. What size chuck(s) or length of time smoking would you recommend for good smoke but not overpowering?
    Thanks for any guidance.

First what are you using as a cooker?
    If you want "some smoke" but not too much 1 3" chunk should fit your bill. Apple should work as it isn't over powering. Maple or Pecan would also be good for this cook. good luck. And show us pics.

Comment

I use oak and mesquite on beef I would recommend you use a half handful of each (chips)

Comment

SESamuels, Steve B is giving You Some Good Advice, IMHOP❗️ In General You Will Only Need Smoke for Flavoring the First 2-3 Hrs of the Cook While the Roast Is Still at a Lower Temp‼️ You Could Also Use Hickory Chunks a Bit Stronger❓ Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! I say one golfball sized chunk will do you. It will give plenty of that mild smoke taste without "smoking" it. Then if it was too mild you can use 2 next time, instead of using too much again this time.

Comment

I would run the cooker a bit warmer than 200. Try closer to 250 just keep a close eye on your internal temp.

Comment

Without knowing what you are cooking with, and what fuel you use, this is really a question with no answer. If you are using a pellet smoker or wood burner, you could be using pounds of wood. If you are using charcoal, propane, electric, the answers are al different.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                He mentions using wood chunks, so we're likely dealing with either gas, charcoal or electric.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok - good point Huskee. I missed the chunks part.

Welcome SESamuels

Comment

Thank you to all for the responses. I am using a camp chef gas smoker converted to natural gas and Thermoworks thermometers for both the smoker temp and the food. I am going to try the 3" apple wood. If this gives me smoke for two hours, great. If not, I may add another lump. In any event, I will post pics and my assessment of my results.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Texas !!!

Your first padawan challenge shall be to solve this age old riddle.....how much wood can a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood ?

Comment

• Steve B
                      Steve B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is the answer 3

I never bother with wood when cooking something I'm going to sear.

Comment

So are big chunks the way to go in a gas smoker? I assume he has one of the Smoke Vault series. Not having used a gas or electric smoker, I thought they mostly worked with wood chips, not chunks, but then again, I've never used one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here