Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does size Matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does size Matter?

So the question is does size matter in relation to split size in a stick burner to gain the smoke profile sought after by the cook?
    In other words, If I'm using small splits that combust quickly and burn a clean fire, will I be getting the "smoke" I like. And, If not, might I simply adjust my split size to create a smokier product because my splits don't combust so completely and quickly there by adding more impurities and perhaps the desired smoke flavor?

If the wood is properly seasoned, it doesn't really matter what size it is. If you throw larger splits onto the fire, you are going to create a larger fire, which will run hotter. The problem can be when you start running hot with the larger fire. As you try to choke it down, yo run into the chance of a smoldering fire. This will cause bitter, sooty flavors in the smoke. You are better off using wood that is not quite as dry, or allowing your stick burner to run cooler. You still want that smallish, hot fire, either way.

Comment

Size definitely matters with respect to smoker size. Small smoker small splits.

Some guys get down to pool stick sized splits on smaller smokers.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Or Red Bull ones for the KBQ.

Agree with Spinaker đź‘Ť

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I was just reciting a convo me and you had a while back, about split size and how you run that Lang with the door open.

• 6th Borough BBQ
        6th Borough BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I need to get in on the Lang talk! I used to run mine with the door open but now rarely do

To some women, yes. To others, no.

Comment

'I've also been using smaller splits to keep my coal bed stronger. Guess there's a balancing point and all cookers are different so learning what each one wants is the task at hand for the cook.
      What was that Muldaur tune about the meat and the motion?

Comment

I tend to think going with smaller (12" long and Coke can circumference) does help maintain good quality smoke. Personally, I would always rather be pushing to nudge the fire hotter, instead of the other way around. This is the reason I like cooking in really cold weather. The smaller splits allow me to do that in hot weather. This is just what I have observed while running my Old Country Over and Under. YMMV, but the pale blue smoke coming out of my vents don't lie!

Comment

I have learned, with my LSG, to take a traditional size split 16” in length and cut it in half.
        I also have been using a 18x18 charcoal basket. Which I got from "Giveittogodbbq.com" works really well to keep the a small hot fire and contained.
        I also use the fire box door to control temps like DWCowles Does.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Two things I have learned by opening the firebox door. (1) it allows the dirty smoke to escape without it going through the exhaust and on the meat. (2) It helps maintaining a steady temp. I hardly ever messed with the vents anymore.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          DWCowles exactly. And thank you. For you are the one who led me to this path.
          And I ain’t looking back.

But the question is guys, does a larger split create more smoke flavor than a smaller split simply because it does not completely combust so quickly? There by naturally adding more impurities and coincidentally, more smoke flavor.
        That, my friends is the crux of the biscuit.
        By the by, all of this of course is dependent on your coal base. If you have a smallish coal base, say 12-18" in diameter then adding a split thats 12" long the entire split will soon be in flames adding to an already clean fire. But, If you sweep your coals together into a line of sorts and then add a longer split across the coals will it not take longer to combust and thereby add more smoke to your cook? If that is what you want to do. This is my question. Not that it is right or wrong but simply what do you think of the theory?

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          No, you will get the same amount of smoke regardless the size of the splits. You will get more "dirty smoke" with the larger splits because it will take them longer to combust.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely agree with DW.
          If you’re looking for a much heavier smoke flavor than you’re Going to introduce a dirty off tasting flavor.

However try putting your meat in your cooker when it’s as cold as possible. Near freezing. Also try putting it in while the pit is heating up. And keep the temps low for the first hour or two.

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought" the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe "

I prefer smaller splits of really seasoned wood, especially when using heavy smoke producing woods like Mesquite, oak, or hickory.

Comment

To be honest with you I have not noticed any more or less smoke flavor by adding larger or smaller splits to my Lang but by adding smaller splits I can control the temp of the cooking chamber a lot easier. When I first got it I was putting larger splits in my Lang but was having trouble controlling the temp, then I started cutting them up to around beer can size and that made it easier to control the temp. I think managing your fire is the most important thing when cooking on a smoker of this type, when I add a small split it ignites and as it burns it creates the smoke flavor that I am looking for, if I add a larger split it may take longer for it to burn up and turn to coals but doesn't really add more smoke flavor. I tend to add the larger splits at the end of a cook so I can get my Lang up to around 350 degrees so I can clean it before shutting it down.

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
            6th Borough BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            You literally do exactly what I do. Every single step. That is crazy.

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            That is crazy, I owe this technique to DW since he is the one that led me or helped me out when I first got the Lang. He is the man when it comes to cooking on a Lang!

Boys and Girls, When I First Opened overeasy 's Post "Does Size Matter"❓ The First Thing That Came to Mind Was "OH BOY SMUTT & BBQ" GREAT‼️ Then Spinaker, DWCowles, Potkettleblack, Jerod Broussard, texastweeter, Steve A, Steve B and vandy went and Got All Technical❓❓
          I Ask WHERE'S THE SMUTT❓
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha

Smutt...
          is that another werd fer dirty smoke?

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            geeze its getting deep in here...think I'll exit stage left.....

And yes the crux of the biscuit IS the apostrophe!
          Thanks for the Frank connection. Bringing me back to my Center

Comment

I can throw a trunk 8" diameter and 4 feet long in this animal recycler and with a few mins it is burning clean. Bigger splits may take longer to catch on, but you are loading the pit with fresh wood less often. I always try to maintain the temp with the amount of wood, then regulate by the air inlet as required. You want a large volume of hot air passing through the pit. (Stick burners) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20171223-WA0004.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	447156

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I gotta start saving my pennies.
              Man I guess it’s true that everything is bigger in Texas

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve, The trailer name is Texas, after that fact. But it is Located in the Provence of Buenos Aires, Argentina. 8.6 meters long 2.5 tons of pure animal recycler!

• JonnyB
              JonnyB commented
              Editing a comment
              Throwing small splits in that thing is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. That, sir, is the John Holmes of offset smokers!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here