Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre burn your wood..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL... I have sat around pits for nearly 45 years and I must say I have met some "characters".... and as a combat Marine I have met some pretty strong personalities... but... I will sleep well tonight writing this off as "too much alcohol" and dirty smoke inhalation. It's certainly not what is the norm on these boards. Glad I missed this one. I don't tend to take prisoners.

Comment

OK, let's stop this nonsense. We're friends here, and we value friendly interactions and comradery. If anyone doesn't want to play by the rules, you're welcome to visit another forum where this behavior is tolerated.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Huskee. I was wondering when you would step in. Maybe just put a stop to the post??

Quite honestly I am very interested in the pre burning of wood for cooking purposes but I am a little fuzzy on how to do it. At what point do you stop the split of wood from burning and what is the final result, is the wood more like charcoal or is just the outside of the log charred leaving the core of it in tact or unburned. The only place I have to pre burn wood is in my Lang firebox but I only have the Lang 36 which has a smallish fire box so I would not be able to do very much at a time. I do know this, I have some Kamado Joe Big Block charcoal and some of it is still in log shape but the logs are charred all the way through so that just adds more uncertainty about how to go about getting the wood pre burned without burning it up.

Comment

• SmokenInTexas
        SmokenInTexas commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats the thing. You can pull logs at different points. From a fully involved log,to charcoal.

vandy When I do pre burn, I'm lookin' fer approx th' same as when ya' start a chimley of KBB:, ashed over, glowin' embers visible...does that kinda help visualize?
      If I can be of any more assistance, please, let me know...
      I'll tell ya' whatever I know, which prob'ly won't take up too much of yer time!
      Hopefully, others will chime in, here, an' get ya' started pre burnin', as ya' wish...
      Ya' ain't got a weber 22.5"? They work great fer this....
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 12, 2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mr. Bones that does help and yes I do have a Webber 22 but never thought about pre burning in that. I will have to give it a try because I have a pretty good stack of wood to try it with.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        My pleasure to assist, vandy !
        That's why we're all here, eh?
        I pull th' food grate, make a full bed of KBB, lay th' splits down in to get 'em goin'...
        tend to do this more in Deep Winter, when splits are snow covered, to eradicate moisture, etc....
        YMMV

Here's mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170812_181231.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	361379

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful!

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve for that visual, so I just need to basically char the outside of the wood.

JCBBQ One key reason I love the insulated firebox is it makes it easier to keep a small fire burning a longer time, and it's much easier to resurrect a fire with a few coals left. Yes the insulated box is more efficient, but fire management is easier, and that makes for more flexibility in running the stickburner.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thnx Paul!

vandy If it's any help-- I burn maybe 8 or so pieces stacked in perpendicular twos forming a rising box while preheating my stickburner, half a chimney of well-lit charcoal underneath & in the center. I prefer not to burn them separately in a different pit, that way I can use that energy from this endeavor to heat my smoker, kind of a 2-in-1 deal. Then as they burn let's say 1/4-1/3 of the way, black all over, some grey/white cracked spots, I'll pull them off and stifle them to save for later. I use either an old cabinet smoker sealed up, or a metal trash can with tight-fitting lid.

The bottom 2 pieces form the bed of coals, the others are the pre-burnt ones I'll save. I do this for maybe an hour, sometimes longer if I have the time and want to save up more pieces for another cook. I like to have about 8 or 10 pieces done like this. My pieces for my cooker are about 10" long, usually quarter split or sometimes split again (1/8s).

I don't always do this because personally I don't think a person really HAS to to make wonderful BBQ, but it does make for some VERY easy starting logs when you need 'em, and this makes the cook a little easier IMO.

Comment

Thanks Huskee for that explanation. Unfortunately my Lang is a lot of work to cook on so I don't use it much anymore since I got the Webber with SnS and the Kamado Joe. Those 2 are so much easier to maintain a constant temp in compared to the Lang and quite honestly I am just getting too old to do all the work it takes to keep the Lang going especially for a long cook. Even on the shorter cooks I am standing on a concrete patio a lot tending to it which kills my back. That is the result of leaning over the fenders of cars while working on them for 45 years plus all the lifting and the physical abuse that I put my body through for all those years. I did not realize how much work it would be to cook on a stick burner before I bought the Lang. I may have to give the pre burn a try on the Webber because I think it will be somewhat easier to do. Thanks to all of you guys for the tips and help, I think I understand it a little better now.
        Last edited by vandy; August 13, 2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes vandy the Lang requires more work than the Weber or KJ but they will never beat the real wood flavor that you get with your Lang.

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know DW, the jury is still out on whether the smoke flavor is better on the Lang than the KJ. I have cooked the best chicken I have ever done on the KJ with a juiciness that the Lang can not match. I need to do some ribs and a butt on the KJ before I give a final judgment on which is best.

In addendum to my post, above, I prob'ly shoulda pointed out that my pre-burned splits are goin' straight into my stickburners, not pre-singed fer another day...
        A thousand pardons if I created any confusion, or obfuscation to what yer tryin to do...
        Smoke on!!!

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          No confusion at all Mr. Bones, I assume you can either use it right away or save it for another day. The only difference being you would not have to extinguish the wood if you are using It right away you just throw it in the fire and let her burn.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, can do either...
          So glad to hear I din't have ya' barkin' up th wrong tree!!!
          Have a great Sunday, Amigo!

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks man, back at ya!

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        OK, let's stop this nonsense. We're friends here, and we value friendly interactions and comradery. If anyone doesn't want to play by the rules, you're welcome to visit another forum where this behavior is tolerated.
        Agreed....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to see ya' again, Tex!
          Pull up a chair by th' fire...
          Yer among good folks, here...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here