Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new supply of logs- this time, ash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new supply of logs- this time, ash!

This post is for my homie DWCowles, fellow stickburner. (And any others who would get a kick out of a wood pile)

Cut & split a decent amount of logs today, it's ash wood. My best guess is white ash although the tree died & fell before I could check the telltale signs. Slight chance it could be green ash but pretty sure white ash. Good news is it's plenty seasoned!

This should last me a good chunk of the winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5914.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	35395

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5921.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	35396

That's a nice pile of logs you have there Huskee. I haven't cook with ash before does it have a good flavor? Now I know why most people on here cook on PBCs and WSM it's easier to go to the store to buy a bag of charcoal then going in the woods to cut up a tree. I will take logs over charcoal any day...just saying

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you. It's a young man's endeavor. I think the ends justify the means though. I've cooked with gas and charcoal, and you can make some darn good stuff with 'em. Cooking with charcoal is the Chevy, charcoal and wood chunks is the Cadillac, But all logs is the Corvette!

Thought you'd like it.

Yes it's great! I was leery since I knew nothing about ash, would it be terrible? Grabbed about a dozen splits from my dad a couple weeks ago.

I tried it on chicken first. Thought if it was bad I'd be out all of $6 instead of far more on other meats.
    Chicken was jim dandy. The smoke smelled unique, almost sour, but still not bad. Not nearly as sweet and incense-like as apple smoke. But the flavor was surprisingly mild, and worked well with chicken. No off flavors at all.

Tried it a few days later on ribs. Best ribs I've made to date. Period. Even the wife & kids agreed. Was it the perfect combo of my rub & brown sugar that I do? Was it just a good hog? Maybe. But the smoke on the ribs tasted AWESOME! So I know it's an excellent mild smoking wood.

FWIW, if you ever see ash trees, you know the ones that are dying everywhere because of the emerald ash borer...grab 'em up! You wont be sorry!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You have a TON of hickory!

No, I've never heard that about cherry. I would think you'd want dry seasoned wood for proper smoke regardless of species. I can't imagine it making a difference, but again I am ignorant of this. www.FruitaWoodChunks.com sells all their species of cherry wood split like any other.

Try a separate cook with dry split pieces, and one w/ fresh split pieces and report back if you notice an appreciable diff.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I just going to split it and let it season with the hickory

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking that's all you need to do

Hhmmmm, I haven't split wood in a long time. Looks like I need to get to work so when I get my "Stick Burner" I am ready to go. I may have to invest or find someone with a log splitter. I will have to see how I do with my old splitting maul and wedges.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Barry I can tell you the gas log splitter is a lot better than swinging the maul.

• Marauderer
      Marauderer commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you DW but, when you are old and fat like me the exercise needs motivation andf I use to split 6-8 cords a year by hand back in the 80's. If the body won't handle it then GLS here I come.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Must rental places have them. Lemme tell you they're worth every penny of rental fee. Perhaps man's greatest invention.

This reminds me of home. We actually heated our house with wood so I spent many a morning chopping and splitting logs. If you're talking about a cord of wood, then yeah, the gas splitter is a must!

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm talking about 2 plus cords

Originally posted by Beefchop View Post
    This reminds me of home. We actually heated our house with wood so I spent many a morning chopping and splitting logs. If you're talking about a cord of wood, then yeah, the gas splitter is a must!
    Cool!! That will work up a sweat.

Comment

DWCowles et al; I'm no good with "cords", I've been out of the process too long (also raised with a wood stove and spent many childhood/teenage days cutting hauling splitting wood). What would you say I have in the above pic? 1/2 cord? I know there are measurements that quantify a cord, but roughly...?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        DWCowles et al; I'm no good with "cords", I've been out of the process too long (also raised with a wood stove and spent many childhood/teenage days cutting hauling splitting wood). What would you say I have in the above pic? 1/2 cord? I know there are measurements that quantify a cord, but roughly...?
        A cord stacked tight is 4'X4'X8'. A rick is 4'HX8'W X how ever the sticks are long would be the depth. If they are 24" long then the Rick would equal 1/2 cord. 16" long stick would be 1/3 cord.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
          A cord stacked tight is 4'X4'X8'. A rick is 4'HX8'W X how ever the sticks are long would be the depth. If they are 24" long then the Rick would equal 1/2 cord. 16" long stick would be 1/3 cord.
          Thanks Barry that help clear it up. I'm guessing I have between 1/4 and 1/3 cord then.

Comment

Barry is correct, a cord is 4ft x 4ft x 8ft. I have six ricks that is 4ft tall x 8ft long x 16 in. wide. I like 16" wide bc it works with the firebox better and allows more air flow which results in cleaner smoke.

Comment

• Marauderer
              Marauderer commented
              Editing a comment
              I gotta remember 16" long it the right length for a Lang 48"!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here