Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new supply of logs- this time, ash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    I will have to try it one of these days. Right now I need to start using all the hickory that I have. I also have some cherry that I'm going to try. I was told not to split the cherry till I got ready to use it because it will lose a lot of the flavor. Have you heard that before?

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I'm with you. It's a young man's endeavor. I think the ends justify the means though. I've cooked with gas and charcoal, and you can make some darn good stuff with 'em. Cooking with charcoal is the Chevy, charcoal and wood chunks is the Cadillac, But all logs is the Corvette!

• Huskee
    replied
    Thought you'd like it.

Yes it's great! I was leery since I knew nothing about ash, would it be terrible? Grabbed about a dozen splits from my dad a couple weeks ago.

I tried it on chicken first. Thought if it was bad I'd be out all of $6 instead of far more on other meats.
    Chicken was jim dandy. The smoke smelled unique, almost sour, but still not bad. Not nearly as sweet and incense-like as apple smoke. But the flavor was surprisingly mild, and worked well with chicken. No off flavors at all.

Tried it a few days later on ribs. Best ribs I've made to date. Period. Even the wife & kids agreed. Was it the perfect combo of my rub & brown sugar that I do? Was it just a good hog? Maybe. But the smoke on the ribs tasted AWESOME! So I know it's an excellent mild smoking wood.

FWIW, if you ever see ash trees, you know the ones that are dying everywhere because of the emerald ash borer...grab 'em up! You wont be sorry!

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    That's a nice pile of logs you have there Huskee. I haven't cook with ash before does it have a good flavor? Now I know why most people on here cook on PBCs and WSM it's easier to go to the store to buy a bag of charcoal then going in the woods to cut up a tree. I will take logs over charcoal any day...just saying

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    started a topic My new supply of logs- this time, ash!

My new supply of logs- this time, ash!

This post is for my homie DWCowles, fellow stickburner. (And any others who would get a kick out of a wood pile)

Cut & split a decent amount of logs today, it's ash wood. My best guess is white ash although the tree died & fell before I could check the telltale signs. Slight chance it could be green ash but pretty sure white ash. Good news is it's plenty seasoned!

This should last me a good chunk of the winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5914.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	35395

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5921.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	35396

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here