Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size/type/brand of miter saw are you sizing your logs with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size/type/brand of miter saw are you sizing your logs with?

If Aaron Franklin does it, then it must be worth doing. I can see a lot of advantages over a lopper. There were sure a lot of different choices at Lowes. Do you need a slider, or are the fixed ones ok? I'm looking to keep the KBQ fed as easy as possible.

I guess that would depend on if you want to use it for anything else. I have a 10 inch Rigid compound miter saw that works great but I wish it were at least a 12 inch so I could put bigger pieces in it.

Comment

The larger the saw, the more it will cost. If that doesn't bother you, get the biggest one you can find. No matter what you get, you will have to size your wood to fit it. However, you can't' use large splits in the KBQ anyway, so if you don't do any woodworking, all you need is one that will saw something about the size of a 4X4" piece of lumber. That does mean you will have to split before sawing if it's too large though. Don't forget that shorter pieces will be easier to split.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That "Kindling Cracker" (the new larger one) makes splitting pretty easy. As RonB said, if you're not using it for carpentering or woodworking, a chop saw will get the job done. So you can save some money on the simple version.

I see an MCS attack comin on, "honey all saws cut wood, but........."
      "Oh, and yer feet sure look perdy in them shoes."

Comment

I use an ol' cheapy 10" Ryobi miter saw, non compound. Suits me fine and has cut a lot of wood over the years.

Comment

bbqncigars, I am currently using a 10" Dewalt Electric Miter Saw! As the others have pointed out "Larger is Better" I have been considering this 12" Compound Miter Saw from Harbor Freight❓ It is Currently being offered for the Sale Price of $136.99 valid until 8/31/17!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	353766Click image for larger version

Views:	142
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	353767Click image for larger version

Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	353768Click image for larger version

Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	353769
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; July 29, 2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a good deal Dan! Why did you have to show me that, LOL!

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            vandy, Why Hell Son, It doesn't Cost Me Anything to Spend Your Money❓ 🤗😇🤗
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            I know that's right Dan, and you still crack me up dude!

Danjohnston949
          Thanks for that tip. I'm going to be driving past our local HF this Friday.

Comment

Now I feel ancient. I use a good ole axe and get to work. Perhaps an upgrade is in the near future... :-)

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Henrik, I have an Old Splitting Wedge You Could Convince Me to Part With❓ 🤗😇🤗
              From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

I gots me a 10" sliding miter saw from Harbor Freight. Not top of the line, but it's fine for occasional use. I actually picked it up for building cornhole boards, but it's good for firewood too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here