Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you use wood with your lump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you use wood with your lump

I am looking into trying out some lump with my UDS. I have heard that you shouldn't use wood and lump together. that the lump is all the flavor you will want. Anyone have an opinion?

There are other links in the link below in the text that is highlighted in red, especially the Zen of Charcoal.

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...t_for_you.html

Comment

Have used Lump Charcoal and wood chips and chunks together in the past with very good results with pork, chicken, lamb and beef. Might be a bit much for fish or when trying for a delicate flavour.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto. Forgot to answer him. I will use just about any hardwood and cherry on all meat, like Hicdog alluded to, I will use just cherry or some lighter fruit wood for fish. Chicken soaks up smoke very well.

I don't have a UDS, but I use small pieces of pecan -- about 4 oz. worth -- with briquets because they're free. I have a dozen pecan trees in my yard, and every time the wind blows hard, I get another six months worth of smoking wood!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Pecan is great! A buddy of mine owned a BBQ diner and catering gig and used to use only pecan. Like a lighter hickory.

• dprice
        dprice commented
        Editing a comment
        I've used it for everything from beef to pork to salmon, and it's always great. Not too strong, not too weak, not as sweet as fruitwoods (which is to my taste). I constantly appreciate the folks who planted a pecan plantation here before my subdivision was cut in the 1920s!

I always use lump on my 22" WSM. I also always use wood too. Lump has a nice smell to it but so do briquettes. I never even considered not using wood In addition to lump. I'm sure that with chicken you need to hold back in the wood a bit. Jim

Comment

3DJ i would assume some poultry as well. i will try it w/ and w/o and see what i like.

Comment

It's best to start off with less wood and work your way up (maybe two chunks). The last thing you want to do is oversmoke the food and turn your family off wood smoke forever.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here