Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free wood

Hey fellow stick burners, I thought I would share a tip in case anyone wasn't already aware.

I'm picking up a bunch of small rounds of apple and cherry wood this afternoon that I found on the Free section of Craigslist. I went on there to figure out what to do with a bunch of dirt I'm digging up this weekend and saw a bunch of ads for free firewood. Most of it around here is from fir trees, but I've found a couple for apple, oak, cherry, maple, etc. If I was quicker on the draw I could have gotten a while truckload of seasoned apple wood. If I was willing to chop down trees myself, the supply would be endless.

I just thought I'd mention it, I know sourcing wood can sometimes be an issue and can also get expensive. Sometimes people have to chop down trees and don't know what to do with it, so it really is a win-win.

#Evidence
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170609_201449.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	330832

Hey PaulstheRibList I just ordered my Jambo backyard, it will be here late July! I'm super excited!!! How long do you think all this will last me in the insulated firebox?
    #Stickburnersrule #Cantwait #Probablytoomuchwood #WifeLeftMeUnsupervised

Comment

Aye, 'tis a Man after me own heart ya' are, me Boyo!!!

Name:	IMG_2458.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	330836
      Thanks fer' th' Tip!!!

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought there was something missing.........the cooler!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I noticed the conspicuously placed beer cooler. A wood-stackin' man needs his refreshments eh?

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP Huskee
        What y'all said is true 'nuff...
        Plus, onliest way to git perishables home, intact, when ya growed up many miles from th' nearest blacktop road.
        Ol' Habits die hard, I reckon', so I always keep a cooler in th' truck...
        FireMan # Lil' Red Cooler lol!!!

Excellent advice! To us stick burners, apple, cherry, ash, oak, hickory, etc is gold, and we'll usually pay for it if we have to...but to the average homeowner (who doesn't smoke meat) who has storm damage or is doing yard or site clearing, trees are trees and they want the mess gone! That's where folks like us score big. I've been fortunate that my own yard is full of maple and apple, and my dad has tons of ash, mulberry, and more apple that he needs gone.

Congrats on the soon-to-arrive Jambo, PBCDad!

Comment

Looks like it would be much easier to just add a grate or two into the vehicle and use that as your smoker!

Comment

Originally posted by PBCDad View Post
          #Evidence

Name:	IMG_20170609_201449.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	330832

Hey PaulstheRibList I just ordered my Jambo backyard, it will be here late July! I'm super excited!!! How long do you think all this will last me in the insulated firebox?
          #Stickburnersrule #Cantwait #Probablytoomuchwood #WifeLeftMeUnsupervised
          Dude!!!! Love it! You will absolutely love the Jambo. That mess of wood will last you...5 Brisket cooks, more or less. As I have recommended before, the Kindling Cracker is super duper great for a small stickburner with an insulated box!

Keep us up to date on your Barbecue Mastery!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I still think about that Kindling Cracker from time to time. I have a splitting maul and a hatchet, and they get done what I need w/o the extra $90. But, I like the idea of KC.

I love your story! Unfortunately I have seen three almond orchards near my house uprooted. I asked the owners of each if I could take my chain saw over to pick through what I needed/wanted. I offered to pay each time. I was told "Sorry, would love to help you out but it's a liability" The stuff I want is not going to firewood. If it were, I would not have a problem.

Comment

CL is an absolute gold mine for free wood if you just check a couple of times per week. What wood I don't cut on my own property all comes from CL in the free stuff section.

Comment

PBCDad . Congrats on the find. My advice would be to build/buy a log holder. Grab as much wood as you can and get the seasoning started. When you think you have enough wood, get more. The last thing you want to do as you're learning your new Jambo is to have to use unseasoned wood. And pork loves cherry, I assume apple as well but I've never cooked with it. Oak will burn long and strong. I don't have issues in my firebox(noninsulated), but smaller splits with the help of the kindling cracker(Thanks PaulstheRibList ) would probably work just fine.
              Last edited by edible hen; June 10, 2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

When you think you have enough wood, get more.
                Truer Words were never spoken...
                Then, get twice as much, more..
                I ain't never, after 50+ years, found myself agitated that I had too much smoker wood...

Comment

• edible hen
                  edible hen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And too much is probably the right amount to have.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  With certainty, I'd have to reckon it beats th' pants offa "Too Little Smoker Wood"
                  So, I'd haveta side with ya', on th' "Right Amount"

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here