Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whiskey barrel oak for cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiskey barrel oak for cooking

I am new to the Pitmaster club but have been following Meathead and the awesome Amazingribs website for a long time. My question is I have some oak wood that I picked up from a friend who does cabnetry work and refurbishes bars and restaurants. They are from whiskey barrels and cut into smaller pieces. Does anyone have any idea if this would be a suitable wood for smoking?

As long as it hasn't been treated with some kind of sealant or whatever, it will be good. I have a neighbor who does woodworking and uses bourbon barrels for some of his projects. I have been using the staves and broken lids he gives me with excellent results.

Comment

A hearty welcome from northern Illinois.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Mr Plow.

Comment

l second what the others have mentioned. Just make sure it's untreated. Ask your carpenter buddy, he'll know. You can buy Jack Daniels oak barrel wood chips at different places. Can't say I definitely notice the bourbon in the smoke or food, but it it does smell like bourbon in the bag. I throw a handful on the coals for burgers and steaks if I'm inclined.

Comment

Welcome Mr_Plow757. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

I find the JD chips really amp up the saliva production for those waiting to eat. They do smell incredible. As far as taste, that is a tough one... but IF I taste them (and I do), it is on fatty cuts like rib eye. Smoke while bringing up to temp, then the sear in the rear. Chicken, turkey, burgers, ribs,... never even thought I tasted them.

The alcohol in them causes them to pretty much burst into flame and disappear quickly. Be prepared for that. It will affect temps, and depending on your cooker and set-up, could char some precious beef.

And welcome!! Glad to have you, from Oklahoma.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                TheCountofQ commented
                Editing a comment
                The "taste" comment refers to the sweetness of the alcohol soaked barrels, not the oak itself. Oak tends to be great for everything I cook.

Mr_Plow757, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
              Enjoy "The Pit"! I think You Will Be OKAY with W/B Wood Chunks like the Others have said!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

They would be perfect. just make sure they haven't been treated. I use wine barrel oak from time to time, when it becomes available from a local winery in the Minnesota River Valley. It is great stuff. I think its more just because its oak, not so much because of the wine that was once in the barrels.

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ^ This. They only use top notch white oak for bourbon barrels, which then get resold to other types of whiskey distillers and whatever else. I have a buddy who works at Makers Mark distillery and I am SOL as far as getting a freebie.

Welcome Mr_Plow757

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will definitly go to the Introduce yourself link and let you all know a little more about me. I appreciate the input on my question. I am not so computer savy and need my IT dept (wife) to help me load some pics up to new computer. The barrells are not treated so I will be good with that. I have usually used fruit wood or hickory. Didn't know how the oak would taste. Don't think I'll get much from the bourbon but if the oak adds flavor I'll be happy with that. Look forward to interacting with the folks here. Meathead has been really gracious with tweets that I have sent to him. Looking forward to sharing some pics and bouncing ideas around. May you all have even temps.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      IME white oak tends to be nice and fairly neutral. Great for laying down a bed of coals if you're using a stick burner, too. But then again, these are bourbon-infused, so we'll find out when you do it! Pice pics on the intro thread, BTW.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here