Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood

I have tried to read MH's take on wood and sometimes he is just way over my head (not hard to do sometimes). I cut my own wood a lot of times and I need to know some things.

Some of my questions are:

Does the bark need to be removed?

Can it be dried and seasoned outside?

What are some of the pitfalls using your own cut wood?

Any other suggestions and/or comments are appreciated.

I prefer the bark to be removed. Bark doesn't seem to burn with clean smoke IMO. However thats because i use chunks, in a stick burner it wouldn't really matter.

Yes it can be dried outside, if its dry outside. Obviously in wet climates that won't work well.

As long as you cut to similar sizes and shapes you shouldn't have any pitfall of using your own wood assuming you are using chunks, otherwise if its a stick burner your golden.

Comment

I used to remove bark, and I will scrape it good if it's got lichens and so forth, but the last year or so I haven't worried much about removing solid bark unless it's punky or loose. On some woods like red oak for tri tip they recommend leaving the bark on. I challenge anyone to taste test between bark & no bark and notice a difference. I honestly think it's more mental.

My wood pile is out in the elements. Obviously it will be wet the next day after a rain, but it dries quickly and seasons well left out in the open air. Covering the top with a tarp or a roof is wise as long as the majority has good airflow & sunlight. Some say season your wood 6 months minimum, I have found if it's split well then as little as 1-2 months in sun & open air gives you good smoking wood. I also season my own wood. I fire up my smoker and toss a bunch of chunks of wood in it as if it were meat. Let it go several hours (to an internal IT of 203, ha ha j/k). Home kiln-dried wood!

I'm not sure there are any drawbacks, other than the work involved or bees nesting in the pile in summer time, but it's sooo much cheaper than buying wood.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, I cannot tell the difference either with the bark on or off. LOL...you have problems with bees and the problem I have is with snakes. Last time I did a cook I reach for a stick of wood and there was a snake resting on it. Don't know what kind it was to me a snake is a snake. This fat man can move when I need to...LOL

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, I would too, I'm not a fan of snakes but I'm not scared of them either. We don't have dangerous snakes here in MI (which is why I love MI). Bees however I am deathly afraid of. You should see me scoot when bees fly at me! I'm glad I don't have neighbors close by or I fear I'd be on Youtube.

I don't remove the bark. But some people will lay the wood bark down on the firebox to let it "smoke off."

Comment

If the wood is season properly most of the time the bark will fall off but if it don't it goes in the fire box. It usually takes about six months for green wood to season. I don't have a wood shed yet so I just stack the wood nice and pretty and fold a tarp just a little more then the length of the logs and lay across the top with a few logs on top of the tarp so the wind don't blow it off. Don't cover the whole stack it needs to air dry. I just cut three ricks of hickory yesterday so it will be ready to burn in April.
        Last edited by DWCowles; October 28, 2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Smokee1962
          Smokee1962 commented
          Editing a comment
          To attain the 325 for cooking 3 turkeys I was forced to go to my year old plus dry wood pile.The way my smoker is set up,the greener stuff works great for low and slow.

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
        If the wood is season properly most of the time the bark will fall off but if it don't it goes in the fire box. It usually takes about six months for green wood to season. I don't have a wood shed yet so I just stack the wood nice and pretty and fold a tarp just a little more then the length of the logs and lay across the top with a few logs on top of the tarp so the wind don't blow it off. Don't cover the whole stack it needs to air dry. I just cut three ricks of hickory yesterday so it will be ready to burn in April.
        How many hours of burn do you get out of a rick? Or are there to many variables to deal with?

Comment

Barry it really depends on the weather (like if its windy you will burn more) and how often you cook with it. I may have used a half of a rick this year.

Comment

I have some Yoshino Cherry that I need to split and get ready to burn for next year.

Comment

So you are getting that stick burner? The Missus is OKing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                So you are getting that stick burner? The Missus is OKing it?
                The Missus already approved it.

It is only the funding that is holding me up.

And the fact that I can't make up my mind which one I want to get. That is the next part of the equation that I have to solve.

Comment

Nice! That is no easy choice for sure. Are you going for EOS I assume? Do you want just the barrel, or one that has a barrel and the upright cabinet attached too? Trailer mounted, or will it find a spot and stay there?

Comment

Yes, an EOS. I am looking at the Lang 36" Deluxe real hard. It is made in Georgia and I can pick it up on a day trip. But, I am also looking at the Yoder's, Johnson's, and Meadows Creek's. If you can think of any others I should consider let me know.

Comment

Go man go! I'm hoping to be right behind ya.

Comment

Barry, if you're looking for GA local and don't want to drop $2K, there's a nice budget "Porch Model" reverse flow stickburner from Custom Pits in Watkinsville GA. $850, and it's 5/16" thick steel! It's on casters like your REC TEC.

Comment

Barry the Lang 36 Deluxe to me will be your best bet. I too did a lot of research on stick burners before going with the Lang and I'm glad that I did.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here