Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

🌳🧱 Do you have MWS? What wood(s) do you currently have for smoking? 🌳

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have small amounts of the following:

white oak
    post oak
    sugar maple
    mesquite
    apple
    hickory

My only stick burner is the KBQ. The white oak is local and I buy it in bundles from a firewood guy and my husband uses the chop saw to cut it down. That's my primary fuel. The rest are mini-splits from Fruita. I also have some bags of hickory, apple, and mesquite chunks from Walmart (Western brand) that I've been using for the PBC, PK, and Primo. The bigger chunks are now saved for the KBQ.

I don't really have any place to store wood, or I'd probably buy a quarter-cord of the white oak and some more maple and apple. It's easy enough to get large deliveries of firewood here. Smaller is harder.

Comment

Store bought hickory, cherry from a friends tree, apple ditto, as well as peach. I have it in garbage cans in our single garage & it drives my wife nuts. She thinks I'm going back to my collecting everything days. Huh, what does she know.

Comment

Apple and pecan and peach from my father in law's downed trees in his back yard.

Oak from the the side of the road (from two different locations)

Comment

Not counting wood pellets. I've got pecan, cherry, oak, grape vine and beech.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm, beechwood? Is there anything specific that you use it for. Have'nt heard of it since beechwood brewed beer, from my childhood.

post oak...mainly for my fireplace, but when I use my stick burner, I cut up some smaller splits for it...

Comment

• Stevo
            Stevo commented
            Editing a comment
            but for my pellet smoker: hickory, apple, mesquite, pecan, peach, and 'perfect mix'.

I've got some apple, pecan and oak. Just chunks to throw in w the lump in my Primo. I order from FireCraft.com I haven't really shopped the prices anywhere else but I'll usually wait until I need lump and buy some at that time. They give free shipping if you spend $100.

Comment

Apple, Cherry, Peach, Hickory, Mesquite, Oak and Pecan.

Comment

I'd rather ask my Pit pals than Google.... but has anyone used pople/poplar/aspen, whichever you call it, for smoking? If so, good? Bad? I've read mixed things.

Comment

I had to edit my post up top, I'm awaiting delivery of plum and orange chunks now too.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't really tried to taste the difference side by side but obviously the different woods smell very different when burning so there must be some taste differential. Can you tell what wood was smoked if you didn't cook the 'cue?

JCBBQ Probably not. It's hard to do. Maybe with peach, it's very unique. Apple oak and hickory being kinda unique too....but honestly it'd be a guess either way.

Comment

UPDATE: Since I clearly have MWS, I ordered some more to round out my collection. I. Must. Stop.

After the final delivery in a couple days I will have on hand:
                  • Apple
                  • Ash
                  • Red oak
                  • Post oak
                  • Peach
                  • Hickory
                  • Orange
                  • Plum
                  • Chardonnay (grapevine)
                  • Gewurztraminer (grapevine)
                  • Sassafras
                  • Silver Maple
                  • Pecan
                  • Cherry
                  • Mulberry
                  • One bourbon barrel stave (thought I was out, but found my last one!)

If you know of a group where I can receive counseling, I may be willing to listen.

Comment

My wife claims I have MWS pretty bad, and her tough love approach to curing it hasn't helped it at all, it just makes me more determined. I don't have a wood burning fireplace or stove, yet I currently have the following:

2 4' x 8' ricks of pignut hickory
                    2 ricks of black cherry
                    1 rick of red oak, and have 3 more dying trees that are going to be coming down soon
                    1 rick of sugar maple
                    2 5-gallon buckets of wild plum chunks
                    1 5-gallon bucket of sliced up persimmon branches
                    About 10 arm sized branches of mulberry
                    1 wheelbarrow full of some kind of woody grapevine given to me by my aunt, whose homemade wine is among the best in the KY state fair every year, but I don't have a clue what variety the vine is.

I get all of my stuff either from my own land or picked up locally from someone giving it away on Craigslist. Also have a couple of broken bourbon barrel lids given to me by a neighbor who is into woodworking. I really like the bourbon barrel wood for smoking butts in the Weber kettle.

I'm still in the denial stage, so I don't need no stinking counseling; I can quit anytime I want.
                    Last edited by Steve R.; December 2, 2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Brutha from anutha mutha

Anybody ever use Bradford pear wood? I left that off my list since I only burn it in the firepit, but I have a fair amount of that, too. They suck as trees, but the wood is actually pretty nice. What I have is still kind of green, so it's hard to tell much about it as far as smoking potential.

Comment

• scottranda
                      scottranda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Steve R. so, what did you think of the Bradford Pear? Ever try it? I scored a BUNCH this weekend, and now I’m wondering if I can use it as a smoking wood.

• Steve R.
                      Steve R. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You will have to try it and report back, scottranda. I ended up burning all of mine in the firepit. These days, my smoking wood is almost exclusively hickory, oak and black cherry. One of those, or some combination, does the job for me

• scottranda
                      scottranda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Steve R. Yeah, I just scored some free Bradford Pear, but I was unaware of its possible non-smoke qualities. I have a fire pit, so worse comes to worst, I’ll just fire pit that wood.

I'm partial to Apple wood for pork especially. Being here in upstate NY apple is plentiful and easy to get, I just cut 3 or 4 inch thick limbs into 2 inch discs and split them in to good chunks. I think just the smell of apple wood burning alone is great.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree! Apple is a wonderful smelling wood. I hack hockey puck-sized pieces from limbs too.

I'm burning a bunch of the Bradford pear wood in the firepit while watching football on the iPad right now. Smells nice and puts out some serious heat with a medium flame. Tough to describe it except to say that it is a really clean smell in a good hot fire. Might actually be too mild for most uses. Results are inconclusive, though. More research and bourbon required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161203_223753.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	246440

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You are hereby entrusted with this task of "more research and bourbon".

• scottranda
                      scottranda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Steve R. Oh, now I just read this! So, are you still indecisive about this? I have a fire pit, so the worse that’s gunna happen is that I burn it for general fire pit usage!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here