Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

🌳🧱 Do you have MWS? What wood(s) do you currently have for smoking? 🌳

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

🌳🧱 Do you have MWS? What wood(s) do you currently have for smoking? 🌳

I'm thinking I might have MWS (More Wood Syndrome). Do you? We've had a poll in the past about favorite single wood to use. I'd like to know what wood type(s) do you currently have on hand in your yard, garage, etc.

Hickory and Cherry. Oak that needs to be split to smoke the fireplace.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to sabe that oak from your fire place!!

My current collection is 11 woods on hand plus 2 coming, ranging from one piece left to a whole rick stacked (in no particular order):
    • Ash
    • Apple
    • Silver Maple
    • Red oak
    • Post oak
    • Cherry
    • Mulberry
    • Peach
    • Hickory
    • Pecan
    • Plum <---- awaiting delivery
    • Orange <---- awaiting delivery
    • Gewürztraminer grape vine

I've used mesquite, apricot, wine & bourbon barrel staves in the past but currently don't have any.

Comment

Whew, no MWS nor MCS (75% of my pits were given. My lone purchase was back when the PBC was below $299, and that was a major splurge )

Comment

Currently I have....

Apple
      Ash
      Black Cherry
      Ironwood
      Red & White Oak
      Sugar Maple

Also have a bunch of Locust and Hackberry split up but I don't know if I can use them for smoking or not. That Locust is HARD stuff. I am not sure if your supposed to smoke with these or not. I have been using them in the fire place and they burn great.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, wannabe MWS.

On hand:
      hickory
      mesquite
      apple
      cherry
      alder
      pecan
      I also have some plum tree branches. Is that any good for smoking?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, plum is good. Don't know about branches per se, higher bark to wood ratio? I almost ordered some plum tonight but saving that for next time.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead uses something similar for a hot and fast cook that he does.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Plum is awesome for poultry or anything lighter, like pork loin. Hang onto that stuff!

Hickory, cherry, pecan, and oak. I keep the oak mostly for the fireplace. The rest is burned on a blended basis, aka what is seasoned and what is readily available.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Send me the OAK!!!

• edible hen
        edible hen commented
        Editing a comment
        I would gladly trade you for some apple wood.

I only have the best > Hickory & Oak < that's the only two you need. But I do have some Cherry and Pecan chunks for the kettles, PBC and Kamado Joe
      Last edited by DWCowles; November 20, 2016, 01:13 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering if you were going to say inferior wood for the inferior cookers

• edible hen
        edible hen commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't knock the rest until you've thrown a few logs through the stickburner. I found that oak didn't impart as much of a smoky flavor in my cooks as pecan. I also found that cherry, apple, and maple made for good bacon smoking woods,

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        edible hen I'm not knocking the rest. I'm just saying hickory and oak is my favorite especially when mix together. I agree with you that oak is a milder smoke than Pecan.

I currently have on hand:
      Hickory (LOTS!!!)
      Oak
      Mesquite
      Apple
      Peach
      Pecan
      Lookin' for some more Cherry
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 20, 2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Where do you guys get your woods from. I'm in the north east and definitely would like to expand on my wood inventory.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Craigslist can be a great source, if you want some of the locally available stuff. Lots of people sell wood on there in my area, and you can always find some for free with just a little searching.

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
        Where do you guys get your woods from. I'm in the north east and definitely would like to expand on my wood inventory.
        For my stickburner I cut my own from my yard or my dad's. Having access to free or cheap firewood is close to a must IMO if you run one of these. Local delivery would be the next best option. Ordering online for a stickburner is for the wealthy, unless you only cook rarely.

For the rest I like to buy mini splits or chunks from Fruita Wood Chunks @ www.fruitawood.com. Not necessarily cheap, but for chunks adding to a kettle or a WSM for instance it's not too bad, especially if you want to try something different. I'm not a salesman for them I promise, but here's why I like them:

Selection- They have a nice selection, I just counted 24 different woods.
        Quality- Their quality is top notch (solid, no soft bark, dry ~10-12% moisture)
        Options- You can get chips, chunks, mini splits (6"), or splits (12").
        Quick shipping- Free 3-day shipping on most if not all orders. You can even get 500lb bulk shipments. EDIT: I've had some less than stellar shipping experiences with them lately...and by that I mean s l o w.... But they used to be real quick.

Candy Sue speaks very highly of Vaughn Wood Products www.vaughnwoodproducts.com but I've never used them. They offer really small chunks too called gourmet, 1.5" cubes, plus the standard sizes and chips.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee thanks for the links. I like the variety of Fruita but the prices at Vaughn are a little cheaper. This being said I just ordered 1 box of each in their competition chunks size - apple,cherry,pecan and maple from Vaughn. I'm looking forward to tasting the difference between them.

Currently (with emphasis) I've only got sweet Cherry chunks from Fruita. Next will be apple or hickory. I just looked at Vaughn and for the wood I looked at shipping was free too.

Comment

Almond, Oak, Cherry and Peach. Almond and oak are my main woods. I cut the cherry tree down a couple of years back - same with the peach. I can't get replacements for that wood in Nor Cal so they are my "special" woods.

Comment

Mesquite

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
              I cut and split my own. We have some land so I have a lot available to me.

Craig's List is a good spot to find wood as well. Many times when people loose big trees in storms or something else will put them out for free pick up.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Vaughn Wood. Really nice folks. vaughnwoodproducts.com

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here