Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All wood cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, HawkerXP and Dewesq55, for your replies!

I’ve noticed my ACE is also carrying more "chips" brands, mostly BGE or other grill/smoker manufacturers. I had hoped to buy a 1/4, 1/2 or 1 rick of wood, but I guess smaller bags will do until I try them out and see how much volume I’m actually using.

Comment

I have a Jambo offset and have had it for about 6 years. Here are some quick comments.

would like to be able to manage the fire better. I have to add a new log every 30 to 45 min. I cut them smaller to help manage the temp. The bigger logs put out to much heat for my smoker. I burn oak.

Adding a small log every 20-30 minutes is reasonable and using smaller splits is smart. I also pre-heat my splits. Ignition temp on your splits is key on getting clean smoke. Getting 30-40 minutes per split is really managing your fire well, but can lead to your other comment.....

At that point I'm almost out of coals and really have to watch that my fire doesn't go out. Should I start with more wood to get more coals?

It there is 30-40 minutes between adding splits, then you do run the risk of losing your coal bed. Coal bed is the most important thing in an offset, not the wood. I ran into the same thing in my Jambo and I found the grate openings in my firebox were a bit too large, thus small coals would fall through and I was losing my coal bed after 4 hours. I bought a fire box to put in the Jambo firebox. The additional firebox helped to keep the fire tight together (rather than spread out) and helped to reduce losing small coals through the bottom since the bottom openings were now smaller. But I still need to add lite charcoal at sometime during a long cook.

Oh I wrap the meat either with paper or foil and I continue to use wood. Should I switch to charcoal? My smoker really uses a lot of charcoal.

I found that I really do not wrap anymore in an offset. But If I do wrap and I'm at home, I put it in the oven. Why burn wood or charcoal when your meat is covered?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here