Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pecan sourcing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pecan sourcing

Pecan is my favorite wood for smoking, I’m very limited to it in Wisconsin so I end up buying bags of BB pecan chunks, or rely on my neighbor providing me oak from his parents farm on the cheap. I’m hoping to find a source for pecan that is not huge, but a bit larger than the smaller bags at stores. If you source pecan, I would love to hear where.

If you were closer...

Comment

+1 on the pecan. Following in anticipation

Comment

Check out Smokeywoods BBQ. It’s based in Wisconsin and sells pecan in larger chunks.

smokeywoodsbbq.com

rob

Comment

I buy wood from Fruita Wood and BBQ Supply.
          Fruita Wood and BBQ Supply | Fruita Wood Chunks Premium Quality BBQ Smoking wood chunks, wood for smoking, wood chunks for smoking.

I buy Pecan and Peach. I believe that the Pecan comes from Texas, but their Peach is local to western Colorado. They have a sampler where you pick two, three or four varieties and can specify the amounts of each variety, in 20, 30 and 40 lbs amounts. 20 pounds for $52 with shipping. I used to use Weber or Brinkmann from big box hardware store. I purchased 20 pounds from Fruita in December 2020 and was immediately sold. Fruita may not be the cheapest, but the Peach is from local orchards growing Palisade Peaches. I hear the Peaches are amazing. The wood adds a mild sweet fruity flavor. Note that Fruita air dries their wood.
          Wife and I did a comparison of 5 woods from Fruita: Peach, Apple, Cherry, Apricot and Pecan. Pecan and Peach were our favorites. All were far better than Weber's chunks in the bag from the big box store.
          A quick google search produce a couple vendors that sell Texas Pecan, that might be worth looking at. The Southeast also produces Pecan.

Comment

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Hard to comparison shop since Smokey Wood sizes by cubic inches while Fruita goes by weight. Eyeballing it, Fruita seems more reasonable, but I'm not sure, lol.

• RichardK
            RichardK commented
            Editing a comment
            Murdy I agree. Sometimes it is weight others volume. If one is kiln dried then it would be different to air dried. I will throw out that I weighted a bag of Weber Apple wood from big box store and it was about 4 pounds. At $8 per 4 pounds it is about $40 for 20 pounds. A little cheaper than Fruita, but not as tasty!

I buy pecan splits from these guys: https://southernfuelwood.com/shop/

They have chunks and chips too. Shipping can be brutal though depending what you order.

Comment

No pecan in these parts either for that last three four years.
            Even dedicated BBQ stores have no idea if they will ever get any pecan in.
            So cherry followed by maple are now my go to's.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              You certainly have far more restricted access in sourcing bbq related items.

Texas is loaded with Pecan wood. If you ever get down this way, I’ll hook you up. It is our state tree and grows all over.

Comment

I have looked for the same sort of thing with pecan. Hard to find in MN and WI. Online, might as well deal with the small bags locally and no delivery charges, as far as I can see. If I was cooking with wood exclusively, rather than chunks on top of charcoal, I would have looked more thoroughly. Doubt I would have found anything better in this area, though.

Comment

Pecan smoking wood chunks are consistently even burning & give you incredible smoke flavor. Similar to hickory but milder and sweeter with a nutty after-taste.

Buy 4 packs and get freight paid (or 3 packs and a rub). I buy 3 packs of splits frequently.

Comment

I have plenty of wood in storage but it would be great to get some Hickory or Pecan

Comment

The Meat Block in Greenville, WI is a one stop shopping experience for all your outdoor cooking needs. They carry pecan chips and chunks.

Comment

• Andrrr
                      Andrrr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You went there too? That’s a great place.

• WayneT
                      WayneT commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Andrrr Yep. Picked up a 20# packer brisker from there last August and my cousin smoked it for us. That place is a BBQer’s nirvana.

I just received an order from Fruita. Box is 12 x 12 x 12 inches (1 cubic foot). The wood is reasonably packed, shipping and handling has got it settled down well, and is 9-10 high. If it was well packed then about 8 inches high. So 20 pounds or 2/3 sq ft or 1152 sq inches.

Comment

As much as pecan should be all over the place here, I never can seem to find it in chunks. I did a recent order at firewood.com for their BBQ Pecan Chunks for 10 lbs for $25. So far I have been pleased. The chunks are all more or less a consistent size, although just a bit bigger than I would have liked. If I really need to, I'll just quickly saw a chunk in half.

Probably will order from them again.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                        Richard Chrz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If I could find pecan splits reasonably that would be my dream. Then cut into chunks when needed. My neighbor cuts me all of my oak splits, and then cuts the chunks by the size I want when needed. As much as I love the smoke, I don’t foresee how this does not end up in some sort of stick burner someday. It’s just the most incredible smell to be around,

• Michael_in_TX
                        Michael_in_TX commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Richard Chrz Absolutely. I love pecan on chicken and after smoking some, my hair smells phenomenal for the rest of the night.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here