Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourbon Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourbon Barrel

Click image for larger version

Name:	A2E8979F-4428-4E3D-87A9-A0557FEEFA62.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	1357706 Breaking down another batch of staves and was wondering if anyone else has a love for the flavor of the bourbon barrel?
    The smoke from these white oak bourbon barrels imparts such a mellow flavor that is just fantastic with chicken and pork. I use it mainly for hot grilling cooks like chicken and chops, salmon, pork steak and the like. Chances are if I’m grilling dinner there’s a block in the coals. I really like it when searing steaks and it’s my go to for doing prime rib.
    I’ve bone butts with it but find I prefer a heavier pecan for those.
    Anyway you save a bunch of money breaking them down yourself as opposed to buying little bags of precut. I find I get about 2 years out of a full barrel. I’ve always bought them from Jim Beam and shipped them home but have found a local place and will be giving them a shot now that my last barrel has been cut.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6BBDF783-B90E-421B-A18A-463B81516D65.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	1357707 Click image for larger version

Name:	9C40B35F-FC1F-40AF-8765-46342EDB08B0.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1357708

Anyone who knows bourbon knows the name Jim Beam. The distillery sent us these barrels and now they're ready for barrel-aging or gifting to the Jim Beam lover in your life.

Is it this? Love the idea, not sure how you are saving money though.

Comment

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      I pay much less at the distillery. As for midwest barrel, they are local to me and I can buy a once dumped bourbon for 119 or better yet they sell just the staves from a barrel for 90 bucks.

Found em. Nice idea.

Shop freshly emptied, used bourbon, whiskey, wine and other barrels for homebrewing, commercial brewing, barrel decor, furniture, DIY projects and more.

Comment

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not sure what shipping would look like to chi-town or if you have the space/tools to break it down or not but hey could be cut perfect of your PK…

If you interested at all pm me your address and I’ll send you a couple pieces to try to see if you like it.

Sounds like it could be terrific

Comment

I like the bourbon barrel smoke profile. I have four 5 gallon barrels that will soon be used for smoking - I have aged booze in them for a couple of years, need to get new ones.

Comment

I'm surprised you just didn't refill the barrel after you drank it dry.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          They wear out over time - I used them two or three times, the last batch aged for 2 1/2 years.

If Traeger made pellets I would give them a try.

Comment

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          Where is CandySueQ ? Bourbon barrel pellets are calling you.

• Markus D
          Markus D commented
          Editing a comment
          For what it's worth ... This topic had me looking at Home Depot offerings and I see Crown Royal Whiskey Barrel Pellets available.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, there are bourbon barrel pellets out there, WayneT! Bear Mountain Bourbon, Cuisinart Maple Bourbon and a Jim Beam licensed product pops up on a Google search.

Vendors at the grocery store I work at gave me 2 wine barrels. One day I’ll cut them up. But for now they’re class’n up the dirt patch I BBQ on!

Comment

I’ve looked for staves so I could hand them on the wall, like shiplap in a way I guess. I haven’t looked hard enough locally to see if there are any here in NM. But I do have a few staves that are hanging my guitars.

the Depot sells wine barrels, and I do have a full barrel we use as our patio table, with a large glass round on top.

Pretty cool to see some of the uses people have for these staves.

Comment

Here’s to the folks that first said, “Let’s hide the moonshine in the nail keg that was scorched when the shed caught fire last year.”
            Surely they didn’t know the future of their actions…

Comment

So, for those who cut their own or are thinking about it, let's use the info from the thread discussion about Jealous Devil chunks at HD. The Hickory and Cherry were $1 per pound, but JD also sells bourbon barrel stave chunks for $2 per pound (unless you buy the three pack that contains all three at $10 a box). So there's your comparative for trade off.

Comment

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                Per this calculator. Smokinlicious is $1.47 a pound for the 2/3rds cubic foot box. $1.13 a pound for the 1 cubic foot box. All double filet pricing.

• CHNeal
                CHNeal commented
                Editing a comment
                I cut 89 lbs of chunks from this last barrel including both head and bottom. This barrel had been sitting in my garage drying for almost a dozen years so it was as dry and light as it will get. To replace the barrel with a generic bourbon / whiskey barrel will cost me 119 if I buy the whole barrel and chop the heads as well. 90 bucks just for the staves so probably 80-90- lbs. so Ill be comfortable calling it a bit over a buck a pound no shipping and my labor.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here