Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What smoke with oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What smoke with oak

was just gifted some seasoned oak that I am going to cut down into chunks. Have never smoked with it before.
    How strong is it? What is it comparable to? What's it best with?

Thanks

I use oak almost exclusively in my offset. I would call it medium in smokiness, smokier than fruitwood but less than mesquite or hickory. I feel oak is pretty universal, perhaps a bit like a smokier alder, and can be easily amended with chunks of wood you want for a particular smoke profile.

And around here oak is plentiful and affordable.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep…..👆 And a lot of people smoke brisket with it, especially in Texas, but they use post oak for the most part.
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 1, 2022, 12:38 PM.

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I think it is stronger than fruit woods but a milder flavor than hickory or mesquite. I use it with beef.

Comment

I find it to be mild and it burns hot but consistent. I have oak, a wee bit of cherry left, some peach and almond. I like the oak for almost everything. I won’t use almond on fish or smoked chicken.

Comment

What they said. I usually use Apple and switch to oak for a stronger smoke profile for barbecue.

Comment

That’s a great gift! Oak is the only wood I use for smoking. Beef, chicken, pork…whatever. I’ve used other woods over the years, but oak works for everything. It’s strong enough that you know your food was wood smoked, but not as overbearing as woods like hickory and mesquite can be. You can’t go wrong with oak. Period.

Comment

Oak is used in almost every "real" BBQ joint in the US and probably around the world. So if you’ve been to a true smokehouse that would be your flavor profile.

Comment

Thanks everyone
              I use mostly hickory, so oak should work out just fine..

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Especially at that price!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here