Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The smell of BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The smell of BBQ

I just had an incredibly evocative moment. We've all experienced a smell that instantly transports us vividly to another time and place, perhaps decades in the past and hundreds or thousands of miles away.

While I have really been enjoying my pellet grill, I've been wanting to do a "traditional" smoke and with meat prices not being as crazy as they were, I've got a pork butt smoking on my PBC with cherry and hickory chunks. I typically don't cook with hickory as I had a few dishes that turned out over-smoked when I was still trying to smoke on my Weber Kettle; still I like the combo of cherry and hickory on pork.

A few moments ago, I went to go outside to put some foil plugs in some of the PBC holes as it was getting a bit hot. (If you own a PBC, you know what I am talking about.) As I opened the door, the wind changed and blew a bit of the smoke in my face.

Instantly, I was no longer standing at my backdoor in 2022 but at the backdoor of the house in which I grew up in 1985. The hickory smell -- unmistakeable, strong, but pleasant -- took me right back to watching my dad BBQ in our backyard. (He used exclusively hickory for BBQ.) The abruptness of the memory startled me; incredible how just smelling that smoke took me instantly and clearly back to nearly 40 years ago.

Such an evocative, wonderful memory.

Great story! I know what you mean. I grew up in a house heated by a wood stove throughout my entire childhood. Once in a while when I'm using my stickburner (I favor oak or ash when using it) the smell doesn't remind me of cooking but instead I get flashes of being a kid in winter time at my parent's house. I totally get it.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      And I bet you grew up thinking your name was "Get Wood"

I used a wood stove in college. I'd go shopping and people near me would start sniffing the air and ask if something was burning.
      Last edited by 58limited; April 2, 2022, 12:59 PM.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited - That sniffin' coulda been somethin' you ate...

The mind is an amazing thing. It's a blessing to be able to so thoroughly resonate with a memory in that way (as well as to have lovely memories to resonate with in the first place!). I find such things happening with increasing frequency as the years pass...

Comment

I have not read the other posts yet. I do not want the moment spoiled. For you to take us on that journey was worth the price of admission. It was a great write & a well described moment of yer life. Glad you had it & thanks fer sharin! 👍 🕶

Comment

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

Really appreciate that fantastic story!

The scent of good wood smoke takes me back to my childhood (mid-1970's) at my grandparents house. My granddad built a "cookhouse" out back and the adults found it a convenient locale for drinking, telling stories (and lies) and everyone having a good time while food was being cooked. Kids weren't allowed inside.

My granddad cooked over hardwood and knew how to make "something fit to eat." So wood smoke always brings back memories of him.
          Last edited by bunky2021; April 2, 2022, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Bought my PBC for $40 used last summer.
            Started really using it during fall and winter.
            Great smells and better Ribs ,chicken and turkey.

Comment

That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing it. What a great reminder of the power of the mind, and how it can transport us to so many wonderful places. Smoke on!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here