Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking wood source for KBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking wood source for KBQ?

Hello everyone,
    I currently live in south eastern PA and am relocating to northern San Diego county CA this summer (unfortunately). I am currently in the market for a used KBQ. My question is, does anyone have a any good sources for appropriately seasoned (not kiln dried) smoking wood cut to KBQ size? I'd be looking for apple, cherry and oak. I'm not handy and don't have a lot of tools. At this point I'd rather buy it pre-cut if possible. If not, what's the next best thing? I would be willing to buy some sort of wood cutting tool but not a garage full (prolly won't have a garage in SoCal). Looking for source in SE PA & Northern San Diego county CA, also, am willing to get shipped, i.e. mail order.
    Looking forward to your input. This will be my 1st time using wood to cook w/ other than store bought smoking chunks.
    Respectfully,
    JD

I don’t know of any one but, one option would be to Google BBQ restaurants in the area of where you’re moving, and where you live now. I’d give them a call and see who their wood suppliers are. You might could hook up with someone that way. A lot of the restaurants will have the wood delivered to them already cut to the size they prefer, which could save you time and expense. This of course means you’ll need to find BBQ restaurants that use offsets for cooking.

Comment

I’m still trying to source wood for the used KBQ I just picked up last weekend. I will be following this for other ideas. My first few cooks might be with the dreaded kiln dried stuff.

My understanding is generally firewood is locally sourced from places like tree services. I think the standard for seasoned firewood will be 16-18 inches long and split. So you’ll need at least two tools to deal with that. One to halve the splits and another to spilt the splits smaller. For the latter, most people seems to use a Kindling Cracker XL. For halving, I see some people using a miter saw. Others use a chainsaw or alligator lop saw. If you use a chainsaw, you might need to build some saw bucks.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        a Mitter saw is a great way to cut the pieces down to KBQ size.

It only took me one Google search to find seasoned firewood in suburban Chicagoland , but nobody was interested in processing it to KBQ sized bricks for me. I bought a Kindling Cracker XL, B&D Alligator, and 8# sledge, and they work great.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        What size, diameter and length is ideal for a KBQ?

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Oak Smoke Bill K says anything between the size of a standard brick and a Red Bull can will work fine.

Getting wood here in northern San Diego county is challenging sometimes. People are using it more for heating these days. So in the winter months it will be scarce. Forget about cherry or apple, l doubt you will find any of that local. Oak is abundant. I would look for tree trimmers in Vista and Fallbrook. I would recommend someone but I have not bought wood in a while. The Last time I bought wood it was 2015 and I got a trunk load for $10.

Comment

In Orange County, CA. about 90 miles from San Diego is a great place called The Woodshed, they sell all types of cooking woods. They maybe able to cut the needed splits or sizes of wood you need. Harry Soo gets most of his cooking wood from them as well. I have used them personally and have only great things to say about their products, check out their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoked Transistors View Post
          In Orange County, CA. about 90 miles from San Diego is a great place called The Woodshed, they sell all types of cooking woods. They maybe able to cut the needed splits or sizes of wood you need. Harry Soo gets most of his cooking wood from them as well. I have used them personally and have only great things to say about their products, check out their website.

https://thewoodshedoc.com/cooking-wood
          Cool! Thanks much!
          JD

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here