Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

heating the firebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heating the firebox

I live in Orange County, CA where smoking wood has to be purchased and believe me it is not cheap. I am wondering when I am initially heating up my Brazos stick burner in the morning, can cheap firewood be used then switch to smoking woods for the smoking of the meat?

You can use a chimney of lit charcoal to start the wood, a lot of people do that, and it’s easier.
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 26, 2022, 10:36 AM.

Comment

This guy shows a very good way. Start with the cheap stuff.

Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 26, 2022, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• rivman
        rivman commented
        Editing a comment
        Great video!! Thanks for your help.

Assuming it is a stick burner, what type cooker?
      Where in the OC are you?
      Non-cooking type wood species will continue to emit undesirable Volatile Organic Compounds until completely "decomposed", i.e. has be come charcoal.
      Satisfying the "heat soak/cooker warm up" would better accomplished with charcoal. They would impart less undesirable flavor once fully ash-ed, even Kingsford Blue Bag.

Comment

• rivman
        rivman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Placentia in N. OC. I do start with a chimney of lump charcoal to get a coal bed but to really heat the whole cooking chamber it takes a load of wood. My Brazos DXL is pretty thick metal. I think my question has been answered and do not want to have any "undesirable Volatile Organic Compounds" lingering in the cook chamber that may penetrate the meat when I start the cook.

rivman I sure it is the same in orange as it is the San Diego county in that there are tree trimmers there. Most of the wood I use I buy from tree trimmers. Might save you a buck or two.

Comment

Yes, start with the cheap stuff, heat is heat. Then switch.

Comment

Short answer, yes. Be sure it is hardwood.

Comment

I recommend a different BBQ.
            Always sounding like a broken record, my consistent experience with my KBQ C-60; clean smoke in 5 minutes, maximum set point achieved in ~15 minutes and cooks ~25% faster. All of which equate to fuel efficiency.
            I live in the los Angeles harbor area, I have no idea at cost relative to other locales, but I source my wood straight out of Compton, $20/40# bag. Fire Wood of My Ranch is the location.
            Thoroughly indoctrinated member and evangelist for the cult of KBQ I am.

Comment

I always start with a chimney of charcoal, get my temp established then add wood as needed to maintain.

Comment

I use a 500k BTU propane weed burner to start my fire. Once the fire is going I use the torch to warm up the walls of the cook chamber. Quick and easy!

Comment

Well people, I fill the hopper, turn it on, set the temp, 15 minutes later, start the cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here