Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slimmer & Longer vs. Fatter & Shorter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    But Ernest it might take him a long time to get one. Don't forget it was remove from the giveaway list because they were so far behind in production.

• Ernest
    replied
    Then there's the Karubecue. It's slimmer and longer plus fatter and shorter at the same time. It burns wood.

Leave a comment:

• Max Good
    replied
    Roger Davidson with Horizon agrees the larger diameter pits are easier to control.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I've read posts by quite a few guys that would rather cook on a 24" compared to a 20". As Huskee mentioned above, the extra thermal mass holds temps a lot better.

And the vertical room on a 24" is better than a 20". It doesn't seem like it just looking at the numbers, but it is worth it, even if you never load it down with butts.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I've heard many folks say that larger diameter cooking chambers are easier to control- so I'd lean toward fatter & shorter, although I've not cooked on different diameter ones. I do know from personal experience when you're cooking a load of pork butts it's better to have more height room than length, so in that case that 24" would be really handy. If all you cook is ribs or salmon for instance then that might never matter.

I think your title is click bait!

Leave a comment:

• Handyfan
    started a topic Slimmer & Longer vs. Fatter & Shorter

Slimmer & Longer vs. Fatter & Shorter

I'm looking at getting into stick burners for the first time. I've gotten a lot of great info from posters here so I'm going to ask another question:

I'm looking at a few of what I would call "medium sized" pits (some of you will call them "mini" pits, I'm sure). Most of them are 20" diameter pits (40" to 48" long), but one of them is a 24"x36" pit. All these pits have roughly the same grate space (or at least close enough for me); so what I'm wondering about is what people think about a longer/narrower pit vs. a shorter/fatter one with the same capacity. A couple of these are actually from the same manufacturer, so it really would be "apples to apples" between those. Aside from being able to cook larger/taller food in the 24"er, are there any other issues (flow, temp spread, etc) that favor one or the other? For example: one issue for me might be weight. I may be moving this pit a few times a year, and the 24" pit clocks in at 850 lbs. Oh yeah, I'm looking for a conventional flow cooker, not a reverse flow.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here