Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking wood varieties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking wood varieties

I just pruned my fig trees and I was wondering if adding seasoned fig tree wood to a smoker like other fruit woods is a thing.
    I think that it might add a sweetness like other fruit woods. It is not in any lists I've seen of wood to smoke with and was wondering if anybody out there has tried it.

I haven't tried it, but the NYT says it's good stuff. I say give it a shot and report back.

Oh, and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

I think fig wood would be great for smoking, and much like any other fruit wood. Let us know how it works out!

Comment

Here is a site that might help in what to expect with different wood. https://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Woods.htm

Comment

• Smoke em if you got em
          Smoke em if you got em commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for that link! there is a wealth of info there.

Usually with fruit wood, it is all the same. I have personally used fig as well as other odd woods such as bay, pimento, grape/muskedine, crabapple and others. I find all fruit wood along with maple great for smoking fish, cheese, pasta, and veggies.

Comment

I don't think you'll get a sweetness, smoke is smoke, there's no sweet left in it once it burns, and certainly not carried in the smoke...but it could be mild, gentle, and in that sense could come across as sweeter than say pecan or hickory. I personally haven't used fig but have used lots of other fruit woods. Some are not gentle- for instance grapevine and orange to me are rather harsh compared to apple or pear or plum.

Comment

Huskee , that raises the question is there sweetness in smoke. What are we saying or better yet, describing, a smell or a taste or both? When we describe something as "fruity" what are we really saying? Any fruit? Same with "nutty flavor", peanuts? Walnuts? Macadamian? Just nutty ramblings.
            Figs are great fruit. It will be interesting what Smoke em comes up with.
            Welcome, eat good & have fun!
            And smell good, as in fruity! 🕶

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Right. I personally, anecdotally, think we say "sweet" because we picture the fruit itself, then we use a sweet pork rub and sweet sauce and the smoke tastes good and the whole thing tastes good so it was "sweet" smoke. Of course many woods do taste very different, I struggle with calling smoke sweet or citrusy though, I think it is a misnomer.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with husky. I find a "unique" flavor from hickory and mesquite. The rest of woods (other than cedar and bay) i just rank on strength of the smoke. Traditional fruit woods being the mildest, mesquite being the strongest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1254.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1165153 Experimented with mountain mahogany on a prime rib. It was successful - everyone liked it. Would like to try it with a Boston butt. Would it be too strong for pork?

Comment

I have a ton of fig wood ready to go! I just haven’t tried it yet! Internets say you can use it!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here