Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ash generated by fruitwoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ash generated by fruitwoods

Here in Yakima, WA we have many orchards. Apple, cherry, peach. Which produces the least ash? Am getting into stick burning, with easy access to wood. Seeking the Pit's guidance.

Now I’m no physicist, but I would think that the Law of Conversation of Mass would come into play here. I don’t know that there would be any appreciable difference across the different fruitwoods. I could be wrong though, as my D+ in physics would heavily indicate.

Comment

I am not a stick burner, so can’t speak about the hunt. But my first thought would be, who gives a rip. How much differential in ash can there be. Are ya after ash results or flavor & aroma. Focus on the important things I might think, the cook. Then mebbee down the road ya can start & fiddling with the ash outcomes.

Comment

I think the ash either lies there or flies off up the chimney. From my experience with alder vs. fruit wood, the alder burns up, doesn't leave much, but doesn't make good coals. The fruit wood does. I don't know now whether I'm using pear or apple or cherry. But, it makes nice hot coals.

I guess my point is you want wood that makes good coals. Don't worry about ash.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Completely agree.

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          alder is nice for salmon, maybe chicken.

Just make sure to burn dry wood. It makes way better smoke and leaves less ash. I use mostly dry oak in my stick burner and even after a 12 hour session there's not that much ash to clean out.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, fire is important.

I got a pellet grill
        What Me Worry?

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, depends, how much ash do ya have?

Vacuum so much for your reply. The Traeger even notifies when it is time to clean. I guess I am not smart enough to figure that out on my own. Ash--a whole lot less with Traeger pellets compared to Pit Boss pellets it seems to me.

Comment

Why the specific concern about ash creation?

Comment

My wife says I'm an ash man...

Comment

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess that's better than being called an ash hole. 🤣

This table lists some measure of ash production. Looks like Cherry produces more ash than apple but they did not list peach. Though the difference seems slight.

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              Ash amount can also vary with combustion temperature and time.

The reason for the inquiry is that I am fooling with a Breeo smokeless fire pit, and have been surprised at the amount of apple ash it generates. Plan to do some cooking on it, and will need to lay in more wood next spring.

I do not understand the Utah State chart above re "% green ash". 135 for apple??

Comment

I believe ash production is going to be determined more by the moisture in the wood, how hot the fire burns and if there is a lot of bark or not more than what type of hardwood it is.

Comment

No appreciable difference. Burn what tastes good.

Comment

What ever is the dryest, and closest
                  at least for the main WA fruit woods. I think the ash is similar
                  on this side, alder is easy, but I only use it for the fish. Definitely more ash.
                  Last edited by FCDank; December 10, 2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello, FCDank Another Washingtonian. Glad to hear your voice. Where in the foothills, may I ask? Closer to ComfortablyNumb than to us Seattleites?

• FCDank
                    FCDank commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just downstream of Snoqualmie falls.

I burn apple wood in my KBQ and when I haul ash, I have to make two trips!
                  One for the removable tray and one for the firebox.
                  But seriously now, it doesn't seem to be an excess of ash.
                  If the ash is so much that it puts your fire out, maybe you need to elevate your grate on some bricks so there's room for your ash to fall through.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here