Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad wood -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad wood -

This weekend I picked a bag of "lite my fire" kiln dried fire wood from home depot. for 5 bucks this is a bag of kiln dried hardwood (pecan, oak and/or hickory). I thought awesome. So I fired up the smoker (started with a chimney of briquettes), tossed on about 4 pieces and smoked a slab of baby backs for about 4 hours. I noticed a odd smell most of the way through and it was confirmed in the first bite. Terrible, nothing but chemical mintyness. total ruin.

Has anyone else tried with this wood? this wood claims to have uses for gourmet cooking, smoking, etc. So it should be at least food safe. Any ideas of what I tasted or if I did something wrong?

sean

p.s. here's a link to what I bought, not trying to advertise, just give full details.
    Lite My Fire All Natural Kiln Dried Firewood for your fireplaces, gourmet cooking and smoking. We use only quality hardwoods for our product. The wood is fast starting to get your heating or smoking underway.

The reviews appear to show many people having trouble getting this stuff to light. Is it possible you had the ultimate smoldering wood bad smoke experience?

Comment

hadn't really thought of that, so yea I guess so. but would it have smoldered with a full chimney of HOT coals under it? the barrel temp was between 230 and 250 for the entirety of the cook.

Comment

How much of the wood was left after the cook?

Comment

Maybe it's not as advertised. Maybe it was pine or something. Or...cottonwood...lol

Comment

Maybe it was bug sprayed and not kiln dried. State of Florida is picky -- got to spray wood, kiln drying isn't enough.

Comment

By the time I was done with the cook, the logs were probably a third of what they were, and looked like lump charcoal. In fact I through them in a firepit (with some tongs) very light, hard. I wonder if I really needed to let this wood just go longer before I put the food on. My fear is that its incorrectly advertised and its either crap wood or wood that has been chemically enhanced.

I guess I see three options:
              1) rub - I used a combination of sugar, dark brown sugar and Grippos seasoning
              2) truly "bad wood" - its not the types of wood that were advertised or there's some additive to the wood that isn't advertised
              3) I put the meat on to soon.

I'm not to sure how #3 would have made the food taste the way it did.

Comment

So I guess the real question is do I try with this wood again, and if so how?

Comment

I would not try it again. There are plenty of other options. Why risk ruining any more meat?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
                  Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourácompleteáreview

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
                  Click here to read our detailedáreview

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourácomplete review