Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best all-rounder for Wood smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best all-rounder for Wood smoke

I have found some decent value boxes of Wood chunks online (about 8kg) and they come in flavours including apple, cherry and oak.

This is my first experience of smoking so which type of wood do you think would be the best option for all-purpose?

I will mainly be cooking poultry and pork and occasionally smoke a chunk of beef or lamb.

I like the sound of apple wood but apparently it doesn’t really do well with beef. Smoking charts suggest maybe say cherry is the best option but I don’t know if I want all poultry to come out red - I think golden brown looks nicer.

Oak.

Comment

I use pecan most of the time. I would describe it as a milder version of hickory. It's pretty versatile.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• Anteater23
        Anteater23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately can’t really get that in uk

• ScottyC13
        ScottyC13 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Pecan goes well with anything too.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d go with cherry or apple over oak but everyone’s different
        Is maple available I prefer it over oak

Don’t know where you live, but why not start at Home Depot or Ace Hardware? You can buy smaller quantities until you figure out what you like.

Welcome from Chicagoland!

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I am pretty sure he is in the UK.

Sid P has a good point - most big box stores etc sell smaller bags of chunks (don't use chips) for ~$10/bag and you can try things out.

I default to Pecan and either cherry or apple. Mesquite is very strong and not something I use anymore. For pecan, you can sub in oak or hickory. Don't put too much worry in this or too much trust in those charts - the difference in smoke profile is pretty subtle as long as you stick with traditional woods with mesquite being the exception since its profile is very aggressive.

Comment

If you can take all three (oak, cherry, and apple) that would be ideal.

If you must pick one and you mainly cook lighter meats, I’d pick cherry. Oak is going to overwhelm the chicken and pork. Apple would be good too for the lighter meats but cherry works better for the occasional beef.

Comment

• Anteater23
          Anteater23 commented
          Editing a comment
          Is cherry wood stronger than apple? Is that what makes it better with beef?

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          My understanding is that it is a bit stronger than apple, but the flavors meld better with beef per most folk's palates.

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post
        If you can take all three (oak, cherry, and apple) that would be ideal.

If you must pick one and you mainly cook lighter meats, I’d pick cherry. Oak is going to overwhelm the chicken and pork. Apple would be good too for the lighter meats but cherry works better for the occasional beef.
        I asked these people and they don’t mix and match unfortunately. The people in my previous post said shipping would be £17 which is why I’ve looked elsewhere.
        Another seller is doing 2kg each of Apple, cherry and oak for slightly more. Maybe it’s worth the extra cost (and less quantity) to have variety.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          If you can take all three, you can use the oak by itself, or oak/cherry or oak/apple for the beef, which would be good. Then for the pork/chicken, you can use either apple/cherry or cherry and apple by itself.

If that sounds good, then do the package. Otherwise, I'd still suggest cherry as the best option for all meats.

Mesquite, hickory or oak for beef and bold cuts of meat. Pecan for a milder smoke profile for things like lamb or pork tenderloin. Cherry or apple when you want an even milder finish with a touch of sweetness for things like fish and chicken.

My obvious point is pick the flavor of wood that best accentuates the proteins you are cooking. If I only had one choice then pick the one in the middle, pecan.

Comment

This place is in the UK and offers free shipping for orders over $30 -

ProQ Smoking Wood Chunks are made from really high quality, sustainably sourced woods specifically for BBQ. 6 Varieties available, grab a bag now!

This place is in the UK and sells Pecan chunks -

I like Peach and Cherry.

Cheers.

Comment

• Anteater23
            Anteater23 commented
            Editing a comment
            They sell maple but not pecan in uk.

I use cherry, apple, and apricot because I cut down a cherry tree, an apple tree, and an apricot tree.

Comment

• jerrybell
            jerrybell commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. I mostly use apple but will be switching to peach, which I cut down this year, when it dries.

I use a blended favor of Traeger pellets.

Comment

I use mostly hickory, sometimes apple or pecan.

But guess what… if you do it right, when your food is done, it all tastes about the same. I would defy anyone to blindly tell me what wood chunks I used on a cook.

Like everyone else, I have fun picking woods and matching them to the meat. But let’s face it, if I’m making ribs and all I have is cherry, I’m not going to the store for hickory or pecan or apple. I’m burning the cherry.

Comment

Oak is your best all-purpose wood for smoking. Can't go wrong with Oak. Apart from that, try different woods to see what you like. I generally always have Cherry, Oak and Pecan on hand.

Comment

I love to use Oak, Cherry or Peach wood. Honestly, it is more about how you manage the fire. The differences in wood are pretty subtle and can even be washed out by the rub you use or even the meat you are cooking.

Any hardwood will work fine. That being said, I generally burn oak, chary and peach.

Comment

Update: using another seller I got less wood in total but they were able to offer a mixture of different woods. I went for 2kg each of apple, cherry and oak. I think that should keep me going for a while

Thanks for all your messages.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here