Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood vs snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood vs snow

Hey guys, summer is coming to an end and the first snow isn’t too far off in the pnw. I have a bunch of maple wood that I’ve been seasoning since around March of this year, it’s sitting outside in my backyard atop a makeshift rack (8” above the ground). I don’t want to haul all of it in the garage so I was thinking about putting a tarp over it during the winter months. Has anyone done or experienced anything like this before? Thanks!

Yep, a tarp works just fine. I'd just make sure it is dry before covering it. Not seasoned dry, but not wet from rain.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

The best option is to build a lean to or covered/sheltered structure of some sort so the wood gets airflow year round. But if you have to then a tarp works fine, just remove it during dry periods. Also look into natural critter repellents like mint oil and diatomaceous earth so if you do have to keep it covered for long periods that it doesn't become a critter or pest hotel.

You shouldn't store wood near or in your main living structure (to include a garage) except for what you will use up quickly. Don't want termites getting a free ride to your domicile

We don't get snow here really, but we get a ton of rain. The neighbors have an outbuilding with a lean to off the side just using tin roofing on the top and 2 of the sides. Looks like a fairly affordable setup and it's lasted a few hurricanes. We just have a metal wood rack and I bungee a tarp around it when long periods of rain are expected.

Comment

Covering with a tarp will work. I live in what is called a "Critical Area" and need a permit for any permanent structures, but none for a temporary structure. I have built several of these portable wood racks that I fill with wood from my woodlot and cover them with an attached tarp when it rains. Whenever I finally empty one, I move it over a few feet and load with wood again.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ADAF7B84-D84D-4E3E-8AE5-6BCB05D3EDDE.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	1075889

Comment

Mine stays stored outside year 'round with a wood pile tarp from Amazon (they're long & narrow & thick). Love it. I stack mine on a base layer of pine wood to keep the good wood off the ground.

Comment

The tarp does work well but as you are seeing with the replies a level of ventilation is surely needed. Even if you uncover during hot dry days and cover back up.

Comment

Too much work, glad to hear you young ones still have it in you.
            BTW it is nice to pick up all these pointers, just in case. Never know when it may come in handy.

Comment

Tarp for my wood rack! Not a worry!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by taffenhoffsbbq View Post
                  Hey guys, summer is coming to an end
                  LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here