Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good score today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good score today!

A little oak, a little ash and a WHOLE LOT OF cherry. Year old. Split today! OH YEAH!

Thats what I'm talking about! Jon Solberg I see smoke rings in your future

Comment

Oh yeah nice haul!

​I bet Ernest will be drooling LOL

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Man I got my 200 lbs now of mesquite, pecan and hickory. I thought I hit the wood lotto. LOL

I dont mind saying that this kind of smoking is a challenge at every level. So much to learn. So much to do.

Comment

Man that's what life's about!
      OK so which is which?

Comment

All this cooking with wood makes DWCowles a happy man!

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it does Ernest ...Anybody can cook with charcoal but it takes skill to cook with wood

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Not everyone can cook with charcoal, people freak out when I tell them I only use charcoal to cook my PBC foods. DWCowles

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
        Man that's what life's about!
        OK so which is which?

Cherry first two stacked rows. Ash and oak mixed in the back.

Woodman Dan helping me fill the truck! He was so happy that the cherry was going to a smoker he loaded the rest of the truck up with ash and oak.

He's working on my supply of apple and cherry for next year. No way we can get pecan up here but what the heck I'm good with fruit wood.

Dan just looks like a wood man dont he! Very cool dude!

Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 5, 2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice....you can't beat a gasoline log splitter

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          @DWCowles

I dont think I could split that cherry by hand. Its gnarly stuff

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon Solberg my first experience with cherry wood was back in '83. I was on summer break from college and I went to Yakima, WA to work on my uncle's apple orchard for the summer (a summer job that lasted 3 years, but that's another sorted tale). One day he decided since he had some extra muscle handy we should cut up a cherry log that had been sitting behind the garage for the past 5 years. When we put the chainsaw to it you should have seen the sparks fly! It was quite a show! We were lucky we didn't catch the grass on fire. Needless to say, we had to drag it to the burn pile instead of having cut and split for firewood. The first lesson I learned when dealing with fruit wood, make sure you cut and split it before curing. It just makes life easier.

Are you going to fire that bad boy up this weekend Jon Solberg

Comment

I'm north bro. Cant do it. Doing an SnS butt tomorrow. Headed south Monday to get this stacked. I'll be firing up the pig next weekend at best.

I have to do some re arranging on my back porch so I can make it all work.

Comment

Now when you guys get your Dutch Ovens going... use wood for those... you don't need charcoal! I learned to use a Dutch when I was a river guide... we didnt use 'no stupid charcoal' hahahahahaha!

Comment

DUDE I'm in. I'll buy one. Only one I have is not a camp one. No feet. I'd love to learn that. Lord (or your higher power) knows I got the wood.

I'll pick up a lodge camp DO tomorrow if your willing to post some instructions.

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                you betcha... the absolute best size to cook small meals for 1 or 2 people is a 10" deep lodge (5 quart), hard to find though... a regular 10 is good too... a 12 inch for big meals and more people, a 14 inch if you are cooking a large meal!

I couldn't fit anymore of the split stuff in the back of the truck. I filled up an 8ft trailer with the pieces we could only move with a dolly. Will split the old fashion way soon. I had to split one just to get it off the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010027.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	107346 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010028.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	107347

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                is that hickory Jerod Broussard

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Post Oak. New home has a fire place. Talk about some beasts on that dolly going up the trailer ramp up the back steps.

You Boys are having too much Fun! Happy Holidays, Dan

Comment

Wow!!! I get excited with a couple of bags of wood

Comment

Way to go! Jon Solberg . What a fun thread!

-- Ed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here