Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesquite logs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite logs

Has anyone used mesquite logs in stick burner? Mesquite is quite cheap in Texas but I've never used it in chunks. I always stayed away from it due to horror stories.

Ernest Mesquite wood good smoking wood but it has a stronger smoke flavor. You might want to try a sample before getting a lot of it.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I got 40 pounds for $12 for experimenting

I dont know anything about mesquite logs, but the chunks I use on my charcoal can be kinda strong...

I had an idea, are there any fruit growers/farmers around your area??? They are always replacing trees... just an idea.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I'm looking into a few tree services.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest be careful with tree services bc they will tell you it's a fruit tree when it might be something else

Look for post oak.

Comment

If you burn mesquite in a stickburner with a hot burn it'll probably be pretty good. The trouble is smoldering mesquite as chunks on charcoal.
      Last edited by Huskee; August 31, 2015, 05:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        I just had mesquite Chicken. Let's just say bones were crushed. It was GUUD!

only thing I have used is mesquite charcoal and it burns hot and fast pops and snorts a lot also but cooks real good in a Santa Maria style grill

Comment

Mesquite chunks did well for my first meatloaf.

I got a BUNCH of post oak, split and going to be split.

Comment

DWCowles those and Craigslist folks can't be trusted. I did get a somewhat good source for the time being. Until I get a saw or something.
          Hickory

Comment

I got a small electric chainsaw that worked well for mesquite but got crushed by hickory.
            Chain got derailed, I got pissed off and left the thing in the backyard.

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Ernest you need to invest in a Stihl chainsaw. Those electric saws are design to cut small tree limbs

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Baby steps DWCowles LOL!

• (brownie)
              (brownie) commented
              Editing a comment
              Any kind of chainsaw is a PITA, imo! Dial back the bar oil as much as possible as it really stinks.

I like mesquite , I can't see it being bad just don't choke the fire

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't choke the fire even if I wanted to on this KBQ.

• grantw
              grantw commented
              Editing a comment
              You would be surprised, I have seen people go great lengths to do strange things. Haha

When I want smoke flavor on a steak, mesquite is my go-to wood. It'll put down a lot of smoky flavor in a hurry, and, to me anyways, it goes together with beef like peas go with carrots. That said, it's without question the strongest smoke of any hardwood I've ever used, and it burns quite a bit hotter than the other typical smoking woods to produce "clean" smoke, so keep that in mind if you use it straight up in a stickburner. I've never used pure mesquite before. I usually add a small amount whenever I cook beef for a little extra kick, but I emphasize small, and typically the earliest part of the cook. Feel free to give it a try. Just use less wood than you typically would since you need it to burner hotter than one of the other typical smoke woods.

Comment

I have always stayed away from Mesquite too. I have used fit a few times, but I had a bad experience on time. The smoke flavor was so overpowering. However, that was when my BBQ knowledge was in its infancy. So maybe I will give it another go sometime.

Comment

Stevehtn I did a chicken cook with all mesquite. It does indeed run hotter. The KBQ max temp shows 320 but it ran 343.
                It will be a staple, the chicken was GUUD!!

Comment

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hahahaha I bet it was! >>> the chicken was GUUD!!

Mesquite is great on beef and chicken, just don't let it smolder, and make sure it is seasoned well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
                  Has anyone used mesquite logs in stick burner? Mesquite is quite cheap in Texas but I've never used it in chunks. I always stayed away from it due to horror stories.

I used Mesquite in my KBQ... I love it for beef... It's just really pricy here (Illinois) so I use Oak mostly with a little cherry mixed in for beef.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here