Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my kiln dried wood more flavorful than naturally dried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, it does. Check out hickory wood from different regions of the country. More strongly flavored than oak, it’s easier to note the terroir differences.

• Arsenlael
    replied
    So…if pretty much everything that grows has some kind of terroir to it, is it possible that white oak (or whatever smoking wood) could taste/smell differently depending on where/how it is grown?

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I’d add that the land that the tree was grown on, the soil, the region, and maybe even how much light, water, and nutrients it got. Agricultural products all vary.

• Briley337
    replied
    Thanks y'all. I’m gonna try some hickory, although I hate the wispy ashes I get from it.

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Hickory is my favorite, followed by mesquite.

• Troutman
    replied
    Mesquite for the win

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    What jfmorris said. Try Red Oak or Cherry or even Hickory.

I primarily use Red Oak and Cherry and get a great smoke flavor from them on my offset.

Leave a comment:

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    ah - the period . I missed that. Thanks jfmorris Steve R. works now.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Its not the way it is dried, especially with moisture levels that are so close. It's the variety of oak. White oak is the mildest wood to smoke with.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Steve R. is how it is - it ends in a period. And leave a space after that.

• au4stree
    replied
    IMPO, kiln dried vs. all natural is akin to fat side up or down. At the end of the day, it's about moisture content and wood species. I much prefer pecan to pignut hickory, even though they are in the same family (Carya). I think Steve R. hit on something, you might prefer post oak.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    And it won't always give you choices as you type the username. I haven't found that it's case sensitive, Stuey1515 . I intentionally typed your name in all lower case just to make sure, and then it showed up correctly.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. You have to type in their user name EXACTLY as it appears, after the @ symbol. And you have to leave a space after the last letter, or number, in their user name, before typing anything else.

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Have you tried to mix and Match? Use one for the coals and the other for the smoke flavor they produce?

Happy BBQ to you

Leave a comment:

• Stuey1515
    commented on 's reply
    JGo37 it's caps sensitive mate

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here