Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange tree wood for smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orange tree wood for smoking?

If you had not heard last winter Texas experienced the coldest winter on record EVER. I live in Southwest Texas (Del Rio) and the 14-degree temps and a foot of snow out here in the freaking desert killed my Orange and Key Lime trees. (Sadly, I retired here to get out of the cold! go figure! LOL!)

So I was just cutting down the Orange tree and I wondered if anyone has used orange tree wood for smoke material? Does any citrus flavor come through from the wood? Should I be using it in the smoker instead of the front room fireplace?

Yes, I have and use orange wood on occasion. It's good but not my personal favorite. But since you have it, by all means use it! And no, no citrus flavor will come from any citrus wood smoke. All of that stuff burns up and become plain old smoke. I've read elsewhere where folks will say it does, but I believe it's psychological really. Smoke is smoke if ya ask me!

Comment

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to agree, as long as it hard wood I don't think I can tell the difference honestly but fruit and nut woods smell great peach some how reminds me of competitions I been to but taste all pretty much the same ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

The outskirts of Port Elizabeth is citrus country and I use citrus wood whenever I get some donated.
    I use it for chicken mainly as I find it a bit light for beef and pork bit I do mix it in with stronger woods too.

Comment

I wouldn't go so far to say that smoke is smoke. But I do tend to look at the smoke from any wood as where it fits on the scale of mild to strong smoke flavor.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I just meant from an "is there citrus flavor in the smoke" standpoint.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear you, Huskee. My eyes roll so hard I can nearly see my brain when somebody starts describing a citrus (or whatever) "aftertaste" they get from a particular wood.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I find my danged ol self settin firmly in th Right Middle o this whole conundrum, an takin notes,,,

Iโ€™m not sure what Huskee meant by smoke is smoke, but I can definitely taste a difference in different woods. My favorite is Hickory and I occasionally use Mesquite. I can easily taste a difference in the two different woods. Smoke profiles are definitely different. I recently used Pecan chips in a cook and could tell it had a different smoke profile than any wood Iโ€™ve used before. The wood you choose will leave itโ€™s own flavor in your meat IMO, some more than others.
      Iโ€™ve used oak a few times and could barely taste any smoke though.
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 20, 2021, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Stop compromising on quality and get serious about your smoking wood. I only buy from these guys: https://youtu.be/TBb9O-aW4zI
        Last edited by Steve R.; June 21, 2021, 07:08 AM.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. I loved the shot of the fire log with the $1200. price tag on it. ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve Way Too Funny, Brother!!!!

Jus Ordered Me a Cord, Plus!!!!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 21, 2021, 12:09 PM.

We had something similar happen in Orlando when I was a kid. We moved there from the Gainesville area in '82 or 83 and there were orange groves everywhere. Then in '86 there was a very hard freeze (the same one that took out the Challenger) that absolutely decimated the groves. Almost none of them were replanted and most of the citrus industry stayed in the more southern part of the state.

Comment

Iโ€™ve used citrus wood when adding smoke to seafood.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I think I will try it on some chicken very soon here!

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Be sure to show us what you cooked!

Welcome to the Pit!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here