Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking with cherry chunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking with cherry chunks

I have never used cherry wood chunks before ,Are they good to use on smoking ribs and if so how much should I put in my smoker over the lump coals

CowboyAL Yes, cherry will be great for smoking ribs!

I assume this will be on the Good One, with the fire in the lower firebox, and the ribs in the top cabinet. When I use my offset, fired from charcoal, I set it up where I dump about a half chimney of hot coals in, rake them to one side of the firebox, then fill the rest with unlit charcoal from the bag. I then put a series of hickory, apple or cherry chunks across the top of the charcoal, every couple of inches. As the fire burns across the firebox, the wood ignites. You don't want them too close together, as I find the igniting wood can cause the charcoal to catch faster.

Your firebox is probably the full width of 36" of the cooker. On my offset the firebox is probably 18" wide, but it should be doable in a similar fashion.

On my Weber kettle or my SNS Deluxe Kamado, I use 3 to 5 chunks of wood, usually on top of or under the charcoal bed, but its similar to what I am talking about with the offset firebox when burning charcoal - just less of both.

I am paging Mr. Bones to the discussion. He has the Good One Open Range, and I am sure has done a 5-6 hour rib cook on it by now. From what I can tell, his firebox is the same as yours - you just have a taller smoker cabinet at the top.

Comment

• CowboyAL
      CowboyAL commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok bro thank you so much I appreciate all that you have helped me with and yes it will be on my goodone bbqer

Easy as pie cherry and pecan are my go to woods for smoking now.
    I use Weber brand chunks, usually go with 2-3 good sized chunks.
    Wouldn’t go more than three the meat will only take so much smoke and your wasting wood.
    Start the charcoal and put one chunk in, add the other one or two when you put the grill on and let her rip.
    Depending on the length of cook you may get two smokes out of chunks or just need to add one more.

To add to jfmorris thoughts I smoke on a komado style so chunks tend to last longer.
    Last edited by smokin fool; June 10, 2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Ok thank you so much you have been very helpful I appreciate it and yes it will be on my open range

Comment

I used to be 100% Hickory and Mesquite because that’s what I thought those were the only woods to use.
        Thankfully this site opened my eyes to other woods as options.
        Good luck.

Comment

• CowboyAL
          CowboyAL commented
          Editing a comment
          Me to

Huge fan of Cherry for just about everything I smoke! I don’t have a GOOR, so I’m not much help to you regarding set up. I like heavy smoke, so I usually use several chunks. Let us know what you think of your results! Oh, I forgot to mention On your intro post that we have a saying around here..... pics or it didn’t happen! We love pictures of cooks!

Comment

• CowboyAL
          CowboyAL commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok bro ill let ysll know and I'll take pics gonna be doing some bbqing this Sunday and I'll post pics from it

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here