Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking over chunks of hickory (or whatever)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking over chunks of hickory (or whatever)

This may have been ask before, but does anyone fill their chimney starter with hickory chunks, instead of charcoal, light them, and let the chunks burn down & cook over them similar to the way you would cook over charcoal? Or any any other wood chunks such as mesquite, apple etc.?

Trying some hot and fast ribs as we speak . My Hickory and some white oak. We’ll see what happens
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes. I regularly start wood chunks in my chimney starter when firing up my Buckaroo chunk wood grill. Works great. I prefer to have a bit of a live fire, though, so once the initial chunks are started I'll dump them out into the grill and then add more chunks that will burn actively through the cook.

Comment

I like to burn chunks in my performer for hot and fast cooks sometimes.

Comment

Thank you. I think I could have stated more clearly that I was thinking about grilling steak, hamburgers etc. over wood chunks, instead of charcoal, as opposed to a hot & fast bbq.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, chunks would work fine for grilling.

When first starting the chimney, the wood chunks will smoke A LOT until the fire gets hot enough to consume the smoke. It works great, but will initially smoke you, your neighbors, and their dog out. I started my chimney over a deep fryer burner just to get past that magic point quickly.

Comment

My new favorite set up! We’ll see how long it lasts. But has been a fun new way of grilling and fire management.
            Attached Files

Comment

I do not use a chimney starter, as my KBQ C-60 comes with a "Sear Grid of 1/4 in. 304SS rod" for the top of the Firebox.
              A stick burning smoker with a coal bed for grilling, phenomenal reverse searing results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here