Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my wood green?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my wood green?

I just got a cord of apple wood and it measured 12% - 17% moisture with my meter, but it’s awfully smoky in my KBQ. Could it still be too green? I mixed in some kiln-dried, store-bought hardwood and the smoke level is much less.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	140188C9-6D2D-4769-87CF-CB1B8E3F8692.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	1021645Click image for larger version  Name:	31706921-8D7F-4B3D-92D6-5768078F2DCD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.80 MB ID:	1021646
    Last edited by Bruceski44; April 23, 2021, 02:42 PM.

Doubtful, that's a pretty good dryness. I usually tell people try not to burn wood for smoking unless it's 20-25% max, teens to 20 so much the better.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I just have to ask, how much does fire temp or airflow affect the smoke quantity and or quantity? Just curious.
      Thank you in advance.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv A lot. I always teach folks who are burning logs to keep a very HOT fire, just make it small. It only has to be large enough to get your target cooking temp range, but whatever size it is needs to be HOT with ample airflow for best results. Choking back the air on a too-big fire will result in thick smoke and you don't want that very long.

Your kiln dried wood is likely too dry. Huskee had it right, and your apple wood is great. I can't really help with the KBQ though.

Comment

Okay, this is somewhat of a "is your computer turned on?" level troubleshooting question, but did you split the piece of wood and then immediately check the moisture level on the inside of it? 12% - 17% is plenty dry for burning.
      Last edited by Steve R.; April 23, 2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

stever, great question and no. But when I tested a freshly split piece it was at 25%. It’s some really tough splitting, even with a kindling cracker xl and a 2-handed swing on my 3lb hammer. Which also makes me think it’s green.

I just wrapped the ribs, so was loading up more apple to get a pic, but can’t get the oversmoke anymore. Maybe because I have a 6 hour coal bed now.
        Last edited by Bruceski44; April 23, 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, the moisture on the inside is what matters, and it's close but not quite there yet, imho

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here