Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood splits and where to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
    you want kiln dried wood.
    While I agree with all your other advice, I'll have to disagree with this piece. Kiln dried wood is better than no wood, or charcoal. But it won't give you the best flavor, and it will make cooking more difficult than it has to be, in my opinion.

Kiln dried is missing a lot of the natural sugars that will give flavor to your cook. It also will not give you nice big coals for your coal bed. Kiln dried gives small coals, if it doesn't turn to ash. When I started looking for denser splits with more moisture to start my fires, my cooks went quite a bit more smoothly. The huge coals produced by a piece of wood that's naturally at 20% moisture will help significantly flatten the learning curve for you.

Again, this is just my opinion. I'm including a photo of some monster coals after starting a fire with dense, moister wood.
    Attached Files

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting perspective. Why would kiln dry wood lack natural sugars? Dried wood is driving off the moisture (water) which I would assume would leave the sugars behind. There would be some loss, but not what you are describing. Again, interesting point which I will have to research.

My burns go pretty smoothly and my coals look like the picture you posted above.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, I did some research and you are correct that Kiln dried logs have a tendency to burn faster, hotter and not as much flavor. However, I also found this claim was for the normal 'bbq logs/chunks' that you buy at the grocery store, hardware store, etc. Purchasing wood from a vendor that specializes in wood for bbq and/or competition that takes more care into producing a product that burns fast, evenly and puts out good flavor.

• Briley337
      Briley337 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just thinking of the mass produced kiln dried. If you've found a guy who can do it correctly, that’s great! I didn’t know it was possible. Thanks for clarifying.

Originally posted by Briley337 View Post

While I agree with all your other advice, I'll have to disagree with this piece. Kiln dried wood is better than no wood, or charcoal. But it won't give you the best flavor, and it will make cooking more difficult than it has to be, in my opinion.

Kiln dried is missing a lot of the natural sugars that will give flavor to your cook. It also will not give you nice big coals for your coal bed. Kiln dried gives small coals, if it doesn't turn to ash. When I started looking for denser splits with more moisture to start my fires, my cooks went quite a bit more smoothly. The huge coals produced by a piece of wood that's naturally at 20% moisture will help significantly flatten the learning curve for you.

Again, this is just my opinion. I'm including a photo of some monster coals after starting a fire with dense, moister wood.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Most of the online stick burning advice I've read, including Aaron Franklin's masterclass (and his book) and many of the BBQ youtube channels I watch, advise against kiln dried. However, most of these guys are also in TX or other dry (or at least drier than here) climates. I'm in FL, and it seems wood doesn't really "season" well here, it's too wet and humid, if you leave wood out to season there's a good chance it'll just get moldy and rot. The BBQ store near me sells and recommends kiln dried, and I seem to have had the best results w/ kiln dried. I don't doubt that naturally seasoned wood is preferable, but I think that presupposes a location where wood can properly season.

Comment

• frigate
      frigate commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been burning cherry wood in my KBQ. I live on Eastern Long Island, NY. I was using the place in GA. for kiln dried splits that fit the KBQ. KBQ Bill says don't use kilt dried splits as they burn hot and quick. HE IS RIGHT! If you look at the bottom of page three or the top of page four of this channel you see my thread My Wood Arrived that took care of my cherry wood problem. If you want info about the place I was buying kiln dried splits PM me.
      Last edited by frigate; May 30, 2021, 02:18 PM.

• Redwng
      Redwng commented
      Editing a comment
      Where in central FL are you? I live in St. Cloud, FL and found a great wood source west of Cocoa Beach.

• Walt Dockery
      Walt Dockery commented
      Editing a comment
      redwing, I'm in Maitland. PM me your wood source I may give them a try.

Lemme come at it from another direction, re: kiln dried smoker woods...

Any of y'all ever smoke any weed? Ever?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lyin saxashite lol!!!

Originally posted by Walt Dockery View Post

Out of curiosity, where are you located?
    I am in NC. I can imagine if you’re in FL, you might have a hard time seasoning it. Here, I just cover the top, and have no problems.

Comment

Redwng my name is John, I don’t post much but was wondering where is the place that you found west of cocoa beach? I live in cocoa. I have looked several times and I never found anything. Some great information.
      John Pleasant

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here