Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellets

Anybody using this brand of pellets? They were at our local Sams Club $15.00 a 40lb bag. Picked one up to try. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210213_093226.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	989007

those are my go to pellets, good smoke performance, pretty good grilling performance, low ash and low cost. They have a new blend that's just hickory and oak and that has better smoke performance but at least so far this winter they don't get my MAK to max temp, but do get to 450ish fairly quick. Just can't hit 600 with 'em so far. The ones you linked hit 600 year round usually.

Also, the price fluctuates on these. I've snagged 'em for under 10 bucks a bag, but they seem to be staying at 14.99 per 40lbs which is still a great deal.

Comment

• jharner
      jharner commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info

This is where I get my pellets.

Comment

• jharner
      jharner commented
      Editing a comment
      Chocolate covered?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      those are for doggy snacks, not cookin'

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, Pellets for grilling? I thought they were smart pills.

I bought a Z Grill fairly recently, and I have been spending an overly-abundant amount of time researching. I also saw those at my local Sam's Club (after having bought a couple bags of Rec-Tec/q's & Z Grills' pellets to get started). I would say that 95% of what I have read about the Smokehouse pellets is positive.

There will always be debating on what is in the pellets, brand favoritism, and the outright hatred for pellet smokers & pellets alike. In one thread, I saw two people going back and forth about the quantity of smoke flavor. One was claiming that they over-smoked their _____ while the other person claimed that they did not provide as much smoke flavor as their "normal"/preferred brand of pellets. So, I chalked a lot of the negative comments up to one of those categories.

I have since decided that I WILL be trying them out on a future cook. After all, if they don't work well for some reason or another, Sam's Club has a solid, no-questions-asked returns policy.

Comment

Howdy all,

Just got my pre-owned Mac 2-star general going and thought I'd ask about what pellets are good to buy; any particular type better than another; good values, and so forth.

If this topic has already been covered, please provide a link.

Thank you.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        I primarily use the ones the Op posted, but the MAK isn't picky about pellet brands like some cookers can be. And congrats on the new MAK

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        smokyYank Like TAGTTD commented, MAKs handle most brands well. There is some evidence that auger issues have happened with Bear Mountain brand pellets. I use Lumber Jack (100% Oak), Camp Chef (Cherry and Applewood) and CookinPellets.com (Perfect Blend) depending on what I am cooking. The Oak seems to get the hottest, but I do not grill hardly at all on my MAK (I have a gasser with IR burner for searing/grilling).

I will be o the lookout and try, but if you like them then they are great!

Comment

Thanks, all.

I saw a 20lb bag made by Traeger at Home Depot for $18. Mixed hardwood. Anybody try it yet?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          Traeger pellets have (or at least used to have) chemical additives, just FYI. Are they good? I dunno, won't touch 'em. If you want cheap pellets that do the job, Pit Boss and the Walmart brand Expert Grill are both solid cheap options for your MAK. Not sure why you would buy a 20lb bag for more than the 14 dollar price of the topics 40lb...

• smokyYank
          smokyYank commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, "Its". Good to know.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here