Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myron Mixon Pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myron Mixon Pellets

I was just on the Ace Hardware website and they are selling Myron Mixon brand pellets. Went to the site and they are by Northeastern Wood Products, which makes Therma-glow pellet fuel. Has anyone used these pellets? I love Myron and am curious about the pellets. I generally run Traeger (since I have a Traeger Ironwood), but also use Bear Mountain. https://www.myronmixonbbqpellets.com...wood-products/

are wood pellets too small to use in a BGE?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      pellets are designed to burn fast and efficient (why there's a computer and fan required to get them to smoke and still maintain temp), I don't think they would work well for anything other than a pellet cooker, but I could be wrong.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Lots of folks toss handfuls on their charcoal for some smoke, but they won't last long, and with a kamado that might not be the easiest process to keep doing during a cook. You're better off using chunks for that in all honesty. If you're using GrillGrate brand grates, you can put some in the channels of those.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Vision Grill. Similar, but a step down Kamado. I use small wood chunks with charcoal in it. The wood is from my pile. I was at Ace Hardware the other day and they sell big bags of various brands of chunks the same size. They actually look much "cleaner" than my home cut wood. I would try that. I am happy with what I cook in it with the wood.

I hope my TSS gets these in. I could care less about endorsements, but I would like more local in store options for pellets. I'm very happy with my Sams Club pellets for day to day use, but for grilling or certain proteins I like to use something a bit more specific than the comp blend locally available. I really like some of the mail order stuff I've used, but it's not economical to use for most of my cooks unless buying pallets worth.
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; February 20, 2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I've tried every name brand pellet & I really liked BBQers Delight and Cookin Pellets the most, but I just can't justify prices per lb for most of my cooks. I have begun to front load my hopper with a specific wood pellet & then guess load at approximately the 1 hour mark the cheaper comp mix. I get 40lbs for 11-14 bucks depending on the time of year for the Sams stuff. For a single bag I pay almost 20 bucks for a name brand 20lb bag. I do mix BBQD charcoal into 40lb cheap quite often

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      I was trying to make blends, but it just wasn't worth my time to my tongue. There's a difference to me, but not my consumers. So ultimately it wasn't worth my time trying to dial in a mix of affordable vs flavor vs ash/BTU performance. But initially it was a goal to document that

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like you have good system in place already!

Man I just can't keep up with pellet brands anymore, it's like brands of gasoline. The best way to test them, IMO, is buy a single bag, and cook something you've cooked 1,000 times with your usual pellets and don't change anything at all, and compare. Then compare the pricing. If they're the same price or cheaper and just as good, score! If they're more expensive but no real appreciable difference in the food on your plate, then that may call for a reflection on whether you want to pay his royalties or not.

Comment

Yea I’ll bet Mr. Mixon has never even cooked anything on a pellet cooker. Another offering from a self promoter.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here